Sign in with
Your question

Portable HDD 2010 roundup

Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2010 2:39:53 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any new roundup of portable HDD for 2010 ?

I'm specially interested on new WD Passport supporting USB 3.0. I'd be interested if an owner of this drive can write a few lines about it.

Western Digital doesn't give anymore the spinning speed of its drive from the moment they "invented" GREEN drives on 3.5" disks.

Being a user of 3.5" Green WD drives, they spin at 5400 rpm and I'm very satisfied with them. I just wonder if such green things exist for external portable drives. That would bring huge capacities for external archiving and low power requirement enabling them to work without additional power cord.

thanks
nalooti
December 3, 2010 6:12:12 AM

nalooti said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any new roundup of portable HDD for 2010 ?

I'm specially interested on new WD Passport supporting USB 3.0. I'd be interested if an owner of this drive can write a few lines about it.

Western Digital doesn't give anymore the spinning speed of its drive from the moment they "invented" GREEN drives on 3.5" disks.

Being a user of 3.5" Green WD drives, they spin at 5400 rpm and I'm very satisfied with them. I just wonder if such green things exist for external portable drives. That would bring huge capacities for external archiving and low power requirement enabling them to work without additional power cord.

thanks
nalooti

Does anybody know an external 3.5" Green-ish HDD (meaning 5400 rpm) powered only by USB cable thus without a need for enclosure, fan and additional power (just like those 2.5" ones) ?
!