Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Shoot Out

Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2010 2:42:31 PM

Hello to all ...

I have 3 very basic questions and I am hoping that everyone smarter than me will help me with information ...

It is time for me to make the choice of getting a 1TB drive ... I have always used seagate and have heard mixed reviews about them and other drives ... My rig isn't extreme but is mostly used for games...

My questions are ...

1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 vs Western Digital Caviar Green vs Samsung Spinpoint

2) Is it worth getting the Caviar Black as the price jump in my country is pretty large between the other drives I mentioned and this 1 ...

3) My system is nowhere near new but what is the difference between sata 3g and 6g and sata 300 ...

All and any information would be greatly appreciated ...

More about : hard drive shoot

a b G Storage
December 1, 2010 4:42:54 PM

for question 3: you need to know what your motherboard supports. Most likely it only supports SATA II, which is 3.0g so getting anything more would be pointless really. A SATA III, 6g, will work but you won't be getting the speed, it would be reduced to 3.0g.

for question 2: WD blue and black or very similar. If price is an issue, go with a blue instead of black, you won't notice the difference. Greens are much slower, only get those for storage drives or if you want to save energy and can compromise performance.

for question 1: I don't like seagate, never had a good experience. WD is my brand of choice, but samsung I'd be willing to try out again since they have had good reviews.
December 2, 2010 5:28:51 AM

Hi pallimud,

My motherboard has 1x sata and 1x sata II ... ... I know that sataII is backwards compatible with sataI ... is sata 6G backwards compatible with sataI & II ... ... the reason I ask is cause the sata 6G is much cheaper than the sataII drive ...

The Caviar black is a lot more pricey ... they put their prices up over night ... ~curses under my breath~ ... ... So it is no longer an option ...

The samsung spinpoint is the cheapest of the drives ... Seagate is only a few dollars more ... which is better based on pure stats ??

Hi Malmental,

the samsung drive I can get is the Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F DT ... is this drive any good ?? ... it costs R538 which is about 71$ us
Related resources
December 2, 2010 11:06:33 AM

So far we have :

Samsung : 1
WD : 1
Seagate : 1

Lets see if we can get more opinions and or facts ...
a b G Storage
December 2, 2010 1:36:41 PM

It really helps to know the product numbers of the drives you are looking at.

I'm assuming the samsung one is the HD103SJ? If so, it has good reviews, seems a quality drive.

As for your SATA III question, yeah they are all backwards compatible. If the SATA III is cheaper, get it, if not, it isn't worth spending anything extra for it. Your max speed will be SATA II, plus SATA III HDD can't spin fast enough to utilize the transfer speed.
December 2, 2010 1:53:35 PM

Sorry for the lack of specifics ... here they are ...

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -- (ST31000528AS)
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green -- (WD10EARS)
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F DT ... ... (couldn't find the serial number on the site)

The drive that is out of my price range is the ...

Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA6 64MB -- (WD1002FAEX)
a c 376 G Storage
December 2, 2010 2:04:20 PM

If you're using it for games, I wouldn't recommend a green drive. They sacrifice performance for power savings. Given your 3 choices, I'd go with the samsung.
December 2, 2010 2:12:33 PM

Ok ... I really thought that Seagate would be good ... lol ... guess that times have changed for samsung ...

Samsung +2
WD +1

The drive will be used as both games and storage if that makes any difference ...
December 2, 2010 2:25:19 PM

Pallimud said:
I'll assume the product number I mentioned for it was right, HD103SJ

After a lot of searching ... I think I found the correct samsung drive ... ... The newegg link never worked for me but the drive I found as the closest match is the ...

Samsung Spinpoint F1 -- (HD103UJ)

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/su...

December 2, 2010 4:37:31 PM

Some Samsung F4 Spinpoints have a firmware flaw that can abort the command preceeding an Identify Device command. Samsung is working on it, but meanwhile turn off NCQ, or run in IDE mode to prevent miswrites.
!