Sign in with
Your question

Smoking graphics card, what do i do?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 13, 2009 1:24:21 PM

last week i bought a new graphics card for my old system as an upgrade to my ati rage pro. my new card was a geforce 280gtx and was suprisingly bigger than my old card. i had some trouble fitting the card into the slot but eventually got it mostly in. when i tried to boot up my computer, my screen flickered and my computer started to scream and hiss, after that i heard a loud pop and my power to my house went out. there was smoke coming out of my computer and it smelled like burning rubber. i haven't tried to turn my computer on since but any help would be appreciated. i think maybe the card was doa. but how can you tell. NVIDIA ruined my pc!

More about : smoking graphics card

May 13, 2009 2:05:44 PM

I'm guessing this is a joke topic right?

Unless you went and stuffed a 270+$ gpu into a pci or agp slot...without a new psu...in some pos pc spec wise.....are you one of those morons who thinks if you bundle an expensive graphics card with any cpu you can play x with y framerates?....

YOU DO NOT GET A GRAPHICS CARD MOSTLY IN!!!!!!

I really hope this is a joke and you are not some huge moron with more money than brains...
May 13, 2009 4:15:33 PM

I don't think your card was doa. I think it died a little while after arrival...

Also, what strangestranger said was a joke, water will short out your computer. What you need to do is fight fire with fire. Lay the case on its side, fill it with charcoal brickets, light, and let it cook until the fire is good and out. Then you'll be good to go.
Related resources
May 13, 2009 6:19:38 PM

rewindlabs said:
I'm guessing this is a joke topic right?

Unless you went and stuffed a 270+$ gpu into a pci or agp slot...without a new psu...in some pos pc spec wise.....are you one of those morons who thinks if you bundle an expensive graphics card with any cpu you can play x with y framerates?....

YOU DO NOT GET A GRAPHICS CARD MOSTLY IN!!!!!!

I really hope this is a joke and you are not some huge moron with more money than brains...

says the moron with an amd dual core and a gtx 260... the irony!
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 6:31:47 PM

Calm down people.
There is no need to get personal.
Now, shake hands and walk away.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 6:32:47 PM

crawl back under you rock, troll. you have no place here.

and i have to agree... wth? you dont put a graphics card *mostly* in. theres no way your graphics card is the cause of your house having an electrical problem. i suppose its possible it wasnt situated properly and caused a problem in the psu. cant blame nvidia for that. i would have to say your psu is more likely the culprit. 10 bucks says it was no name brand. (and ill equipped to handle a beefy gtx 280.)
May 13, 2009 6:37:58 PM

Yes I do have place here to point out the smartasses- morons.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 6:44:17 PM

gimpy1 said:
I don't think your card was doa. I think it died a little while after arrival...

Also, what strangestranger said was a joke, water will short out your computer. What you need to do is fight fire with fire. Lay the case on its side, fill it with charcoal brickets, light, and let it cook until the fire is good and out. Then you'll be good to go.

You forgot the most important thing! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT USE LIGHTER FLUID. The lighter fluid may damage some delicate circutry in the computer, other than that like he said, let the fire burn out, vacuum the ashes up with a shop vac and youre good to go.
May 13, 2009 6:52:22 PM

Pull out the marshmallows :) 

Sorry I just could not resist.... sorry to hear that you card got smoked. Try pulling it out ans see if you system boots without it.

Try to find out what burned out... My guess is that it might be the PSU...
If you had an old PSU not capable of providing the current needed, the Card might have pulled way too much current and one of your Caps might have burned out.

Good luck
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 6:54:01 PM

u called someone a moron for having an amd processor and a nvidia gpu. get a life troll.
May 13, 2009 7:58:31 PM

If you did blow a fuse, then you PSU is likely toasted. Considering you got the card most of the way, it probably caused a short. In all likelihood the psu, mobo, and gpu all got fried.

You are just going to have to systematically test everything to find out what needs replacing. Just don't put the suspect parts in a good working computer. Like, don't take the PSU and test it by placing it in your new i7 rig.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 8:02:41 PM

chineducks, can you post some pics cause I'd really like to see this.
Your computer screamed and hiss? That sounds like you didn't plug in the pci-e power or if you used molex adapters you wired both plugs off one cable.
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2009 8:39:11 PM

i would say PSU, and, that sucks, really it does, that thing isn't cheap
and if your PSU went, everything could have gone
!