Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 Overclocking issues

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2011 6:41:15 PM

Well, I'm content with my cpu and have been for about 5 months now. However I wanted to try to squeeze a little bit more power out of it, this is where I ran into problems. It probably has a lot to do with my lack of experience at overclocking but when I tried the automatic overclocking feature in AMD overdrive it went to 16x multiplier and 3.1GHz and then eventually just shut down my computer. Now it says its at .8GHz; either I'm reading the wrong thing or my cpu is being severely handicapped, or there is the 3rd and probably most likely option that I have very little clue of how to interpret the data. Anyhow I would like to overclock my cpu to about 3.6GHz or to the point where it runs comfortably at stock voltage.

here are my specs

Asus 890FX pro USb 3
Phenom II x4 955
Sapphire HD 5770
4GB Gskill ripjaws
Corsair 650w
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
Hyper 212+
Windows 7 64-bit
I think that's all the pertinent info

thanks
January 22, 2011 6:50:54 PM

cpark90 said:
Well, I'm content with my cpu and have been for about 5 months now. However I wanted to try to squeeze a little bit more power out of it, this is where I ran into problems. It probably has a lot to do with my lack of experience at overclocking but when I tried the automatic overclocking feature in AMD overdrive it went to 16x multiplier and 3.1GHz and then eventually just shut down my computer. Now it says its at .8GHz; either I'm reading the wrong thing or my cpu is being severely handicapped, or there is the 3rd and probably most likely option that I have very little clue of how to interpret the data. Anyhow I would like to overclock my cpu to about 3.6GHz or to the point where it runs comfortably at stock voltage.

here are my specs

Asus 890FX pro USb 3
Phenom II x4 955
Sapphire HD 5770
4GB Gskill ripjaws
Corsair 650w
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
Hyper 212+
Windows 7 64-bit
I think that's all the pertinent info

thanks

What is your CPU temperature with no overclocking? This will tell us if we should overclock at all. Also, I prefer to overclock in BIOS as some software overclocking is flaky.
m
l
January 22, 2011 6:55:50 PM

it stays around 34 without overclocking, but I was just looking at the frequency and volts and noticed that it was increasing sparaticallly up to 16x multiplier and 1.3v and I have no clue why
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 7:03:28 PM

That's the AMD Cool -n- Quiet kicking in. 16x and 1.3 is the top rated speed for that CPU.

I would go into BIOS, change your CPU multiplier to 17x, then save and exit. This will bring you from 3.2GHz up to 3.4GHz. If it runs with no problems for a few days then bump it up to 17.5x wait a few more days, and then 18x. If you machine starts having problems then go into BIOS and dial it back by 0.5x
m
l
January 22, 2011 7:19:55 PM

Also keep an eye on your CPU temp, you don't want it getting too hot. I prefer not to let my CPUs get higher than about 50 degrees Celcius under full load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2011 7:30:59 PM

You can get around 300mhz increase on the stock voltage.After that you will have to increase the voltage.
Truthfuly i would uninstall AMD Overdrive,it's a good program but it's got lots of flaws if you don't know how to use it correctly(even in novice mode).Sometimes it will enable the boost button in the top right corner automatically and it will start to heat up your computer when it isn't needed.And some of the settings you apply don't always go away and they get mis-matched with other settings you've applied.
It's a great tool but for me it's just to buggy.

Thats odd,says that the 955 max temp is 68c.But the 965 max temp is 62c.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/

So max temp is 68c for the 955 so i would be safe and try to stay out of the 60's.

Don't forget to use the Stability Test tool thats in AMD Overdrive.Let it run for about 3hours,if it hasn't crashed you are good to go.
m
l
January 24, 2011 7:48:34 PM

in bios I couldnt find any option to change the multiplier, it did however give me the options to either push it to 3.6GHz and it would change everything else for me, or I could get my mobo to autoclock both my cpu and ram, is this ok? Also I was wondering if pushing it to 3.5 or 3.6 is worth the extra speed? does it take up more power?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 8:07:15 PM

What is the stock speed it is set at?

If you don't change the voltage it won't take up more power.
m
l
January 24, 2011 8:53:10 PM

stock speed is 3.2
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 8:59:47 PM

You might see a difference.It will mostly be seen in gaming,depending on which games you play.You could get around 5FPS more.
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:45:03 AM

Changing RAM settings can cause problems unless you test rigorously after making the changes. If possible I would only push to 3.6 if it runs correctly at 3.5 for a few days, and you might not be able to reach 3.6 at stock voltage. I was only able to get mine up to 3.6 by slightly increasing my CPU voltage.
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:17:41 AM

where do I go in bios to increase the multiplier?
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:36:04 AM

It is usually in your bios under headings such as Advanced Chipset or some such. My Gigabyte board has it under MIT Intelligent Tweaker (I think I remembered that right). CPU settings and DRAM settings are usually next to each other, find one and you should find the other.

You could also read the BIOS section of your motherboard manual. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2011 1:55:28 AM

Yah i have a Gigabyte mobo too.You said it right Intellligent Tweaker...

Mobo manual is always a sure thing.If you don't have it look up your mobo on the internet and you should find your manual that way.Or go to the ocmpanys webiste.
m
l
a c 89 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2011 8:48:47 PM

Read, then print this out to reference your BIOS.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/pdf/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM...

Never use software auto-tune features. That's just asking for trouble. Also, I'd set as many things to manual in the BIOS as possible, as AUTO settings of motherboards usually cause problems for overclocking.
m
l
!