Sign in with
Your question

USB Wireless Adapter Causing all related programs to freeze

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 17, 2009 11:28:11 PM

Hi. I recently set up a homebuilt system. I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit. I'm trying to get a USB Wireless Adapter to work with this system. So far I've tried the WUSB54GSC, the WUSB100v2, and the WUSB600Nv2. The first 2 are apparently not compatible with windows 7, but the 600N should be. I've been having the same problems with all of them. First, they don't work. They show up in the device manager, but in the configure network adapters screen, they either don't show up or show as disabled, and won't enable. Now, the main problem. Whenever the adapter is plugged into the computer, it's causing all related software to pretty much freeze. When I try to install new driver software, it reaches a point where it says "Installing" and sits there for 10 or 15 minutes, then usually says the software may not have installed correctly. Unplugging the adapter during this time will cause it to instantly say the software was installed correctly. Likewise with uninstalling. It freezes until the adapter is unplugged. Internet explorer won't start with the adapter plugged in, nor will the computer shut down. At this point I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or a hardware issue, or both. Here are the system specs:

Antec 900 Case
Intel Core i7-860
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P Motherboard
8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB HD, ST3500418AS
LG DVD Burner, SATA, model GH22NS50
2 Sapphire HD 5770 in xfire
Corsair 650W Power supply

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Anonymous
December 18, 2009 7:42:28 AM

Do other USB devices cause issues ? If so check motherboard chipset drivers work with Win7.

If not, it sounds like a Win7 driver problem for the wireless adapter.
m
l
December 18, 2009 8:42:06 AM

No, other usb devices are fine. I've got a mouse, keyboard, and external HD plugged in via USB. And it's really hard to troubleshoot drivers when it takes 15minutes to do anything or I have to unplug the device to get the software to do anything.
m
l
!