Why my Intel 8400 fan make so much noise suddenly

Vini974

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hi,

I assembled a PC a month ago with an Asus mobo and Intel dual core 8400.
I used the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU.

At the first start the fan made a lot of noise. I installed PC probe from Asus and could notice the fan was not turning that fast though, around 1200 rpm. I activated silent mode in the Bios. The fan has been around 800 to 1000 rpm. After two days the fan stopped making noise and was rather quiet.

Yesterday for no apparent reasons, it started making the same noise again with variation in intensity time to time. I opened the case and checked if there was something wrong with the fan but could not see any thing that would cause that noise.

Is this something that happens often with fan that comes with Intel CPU? I was wondering how Intel could manufacture something like this.
Should I buy another heatsink+fan to replace the one that came with Intel? If so what would you recommend?
It's pretty hard working on my computer with this kind of noise that drives me crazy. :sweat:

Thanks
Vince

Vini974

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I bought the CPU and the mobo at a computer fair. I have not contacted the vendor yet as they come to my town only every two weeks. I will try to ring them up next week to find out if they can do anything for me.