Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD questions before I begin my journey...

Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2010 9:30:43 PM

Ok, I am pretty much sold on getting a ssd and will likely be getting (OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA-785G-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (its originally a dual core that I was lucky enough to unlock to 4)
Memory: OCZ2RPR10662G 4 x 2gb running at 800 (too lazy to figure out 1066 stability)

Here goes the questions, I will grateful for whichever you choose to answer.

1. There should be no conflict between these parts right? (seems fine to me)

2. I plan to run my games on it for sure and possibly my OS, will the games run faster if the OS is on the SSD as well or am I okay to avoid reinstalling windows and just putting my games on the SSD to benefit from fast loading?

3. If installing windows is necessary, then I will need to drag whatever I want from my old drive onto an external and then wipe the old drive if I want it to work with the new SSD running the OS? Or can I just install the OS on the SSD with the old drive disconnected and then just plug it in after installation and boot changes? (Will I be able to access the data and programs on it or will they not work/be available?)

If anything isn't clear let me know as I am not too experienced with installing the os and harddrives and know just enough to do upgrades and follow directions.

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 1, 2010 9:47:45 PM

1. The SSD will work fine with your parts. I'm using an SSD on that exact same motherboard.

2. Do NOT put the OS on a different drive. If you have an SSD, the OS definitely gets installed on that. The SSD will NOT make your games run faster... they will load faster. If your game loads things like maps, you will likely see a benefit.

3. Yes, you can install the OS on the SSD with your old drive disconnected. After the OS install, you can reconnect the old drive and access the data. Be sure to have the boot order set right so you boot from the SSD and not the old drive. Erase the windows stuff off the old hard drive, you won't need it anymore.
December 1, 2010 10:04:50 PM

Best answer selected by Smoothface.
m
l
December 1, 2010 10:05:29 PM

That was exactly what I was looking for, ty for the quick and to the point reply. Gotta love toms =)
m
l
!