Sign in with
Your question

Is DDR2 800 still relevent?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 9, 2009 5:29:20 PM

I am still using 4GB(3.5) essentially for Vista32bit of DDR2 800, is is still a viable source of RAM? I dont want to buy a new MB coz Im waiting for the true next gen MBs to come out. prob with Full Win7 support, SSDs, USB3.0, BD ready, HDMI, and PCIe 2.0SLI 16X3, and X58 or even for Hexacore.... should I wait until 2010 or even 11 with my OG DG35EC and DDr2 800? I think this will still be ok for 2010... but any thoughts? I am willing to spend $1500 or a bit more for my next build.

More about : ddr2 800 relevent

a c 295 V Motherboard
October 9, 2009 5:41:17 PM

Wait a little, the DDR2 800MHz are still the most common.
October 10, 2009 1:27:51 AM

good so i assume that its still relevant...
Related resources
a c 295 V Motherboard
October 11, 2009 12:40:10 AM

Yes you are right, for now the 800MHz is a basic option till the new year, that comes with new technology and new components.
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2009 3:11:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that DDR2 800 is the least expensive RAM - GBs/$ of any on the market. That usually means it's the top seller. Once the stock of slower RAM is used up, it becomes more expensive to make because the factories are changed over to the new demand. And lots of new boards still use DDR2 800/1066/1200 today, so the demand isn't going to slack off anytime soon.

Remember that reading here or any tech forum gives you a very slanted view of the market. In reality, very few people buy $400 graphics cards or OC their systems or ever even change the RAM in their computers. If you have even 4GBs of RAM, you're in the top 1% of computer users.
October 12, 2009 7:19:48 AM

Mongox said:
I'm pretty sure that DDR2 800 is the least expensive RAM - GBs/$ of any on the market. That usually means it's the top seller. Once the stock of slower RAM is used up, it becomes more expensive to make because the factories are changed over to the new demand. And lots of new boards still use DDR2 800/1066/1200 today, so the demand isn't going to slack off anytime soon.

Remember that reading here or any tech forum gives you a very slanted view of the market. In reality, very few people buy $400 graphics cards or OC their systems or ever even change the RAM in their computers. If you have even 4GBs of RAM, you're in the top 1% of computer users.

Yeah this is true as most ppl still use p4 and XP. I wasnt planning on upgrading my MB or even RAM as I have maxed it out and am fine with DDR2800. Vista doesnt even use the total of 4 GBs while my MB has two channels, I can even go up to 8Gigs which is useless here. But thats the only advantage of getting Win7 64bit I guess but there are no apps that are really made for Win7 64 anyhow so again its just over kill.................Can you imagine the 128bit version of Windows 8?? It will probably carry 32Gigs of DDR4 or 5 by then. Or even flash memory....
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2009 2:59:01 PM

I've been rather assuming all along that all Win7 would be 64-bit? But I don't spend a lot of time worrying about software that isn't released yet. If I get Win7 early next year, it'll be the fastest I've upgraded an OS since going to MS-DOS 5.0 - which btw was a great upgrade!

And you don't have run an app that requires a 64-bit platform to take advantage of the extra memory available. It's system memory which means it'll be used by apps in place of much slower virtual disk swap files.
October 13, 2009 8:20:44 AM

Mongox said:
I've been rather assuming all along that all Win7 would be 64-bit? But I don't spend a lot of time worrying about software that isn't released yet. If I get Win7 early next year, it'll be the fastest I've upgraded an OS since going to MS-DOS 5.0 - which btw was a great upgrade!

And you don't have run an app that requires a 64-bit platform to take advantage of the extra memory available. It's system memory which means it'll be used by apps in place of much slower virtual disk swap files.

I didnt know that. Thanks for the info, so you can use the full 2 lanes of DDR2 in my case? I dodnt research Win7 much because I still like Vista and will stick to it until I make a NEW PC instead of upgrade.
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 2:42:11 PM

The dual-channel (or triple-channel) nature of memory is not related to the amount of total memory you have, as long as you have the proper multiple to activate the channels. Such as having 2GBs or 4GBs of RAM for dual-channel generally.

The limitation for available memory in 32-bit Operating Systems is a different and unrelated matter. Generally, regardless of your total memory, they will only make use of a maximum of 3.5GBs, usually closer to 3GBs.

A 64-bit OS will make the full amount of your RAM available to all programs you run, not just 64-bit programs. And 64-bit programs don't necessarily need more than 4GBs to operate.
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 6:27:07 PM

800 Mhz is fine.... I use 800Mhz ram an do not plan on upgrading till next year....

I have tested both DDR2 and DDR3 on different mobos and there is barley any difference at all.... Of course you will get higher scores in some benchmarks using DDR3 but nothing to get exited about.
October 16, 2009 3:15:32 AM

Will the X58 boards run DDR2 memory as effeciant as a g35 or X48board?
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 4:05:39 AM

Well, that's a trick question. Because a X58 motherboard won't run DDR2 memory at all. A primary reason to get the Intel 1366 socket and X58 chipset is to run DDR3 memory.

You can review the various chipsets and sockets here.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...
October 16, 2009 7:09:13 AM

Mongox said:
Well, that's a trick question. Because a X58 motherboard won't run DDR2 memory at all. A primary reason to get the Intel 1366 socket and X58 chipset is to run DDR3 memory.

You can review the various chipsets and sockets here.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...

So its not backward compatible... its not a trick question because I don't have an X58 board and am waiting to get one eventually or to see if one with USB3.0, better SSD compatibality, an onboard HDMI, and perhaps truly optimized for WIn7, and not just complaiant.

I know the bottom of the DDR2 memory is different from where the gap is from DDR3 so it doesnt fit and the latencies are more than 1066 but thats all i know about the compatibility.
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 7:39:54 AM

Well, DDR2 and DDR3 are never interchangable. The "keys" in the modules prevent that, better known as idiot-proof. They also have different base voltages. DDR3 start at 1.5V, DDR2 at 1.8V and I think DDR started at 2.5V

Yes, the range of speed, not latency, ranges from 400 to about 1200 on DDR2. I believe they never made lower speed than 800 on DDR3 but not sure - upper range hasn't been found yet, at least 2200. And remember that DDR stands for Double Data Rate. So that what we call 800MHz RAM is actually 400, 1333 is 667.

The latency runs about the same and can be calculated, dependent on the quality of the RAM.

Wiki has good articles on many computer and memory subjects, well worth checking out. You can find them by clicking on links in any related subject.
Here's one on Latency:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
November 5, 2009 12:37:26 AM

Well I guess the days of DDR2 are numberd with P55 and X58... I suppose the X58 will be around for a long time seeing that the new hexacore chips will most likely be used with that platform and DDR3 is the only option at that point... Even P55 mbs use DDr3 now so gone are the days of LGA775 and DDR2... at least until late next year....
March 20, 2010 1:53:42 AM

forward to end of 1st quarter 2010.........
!