I have a Dell E520 with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 (2M Cache, 1.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) and this processor has a voltage range of 0.850V-1.5V. The computer has the most current BIOS from Dell.
I would like to update the computer and have considered the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) and this processor has a voltage range of 0.850V-1.3625V. I have never upgraded my CPU before and have several questions:
1) Does the new CPU voltage range have to match the current CPU voltage range?
2) If not, then in the above voltage difference would the BIOS need to be changed to limit the maximum voltage?
3) Any other "do's" and "dont's" regarding CPU upgrades?
I don't want to purchase something that is not compatible and would appreciate any information regarding how to determine if the "new" CPU would be compatible.
This looks like a good option. Q6700 2.66GHz 1066fsb 8MB at $175. I've got to say that Delluser1 knows a helluva lot more about Dells then i do. I'd certainly check with Dell to make sure it's a viable choice and the motherboard BIOS supports it.
I didn't look up if the E520 can use a 1333 fsb Conroe though. It does use the 1066 fsb CPUs.
I did look at the EWIZ website and it looks like they have competitive prices on the various CPUs that would be supported by my system. Does anyone has experience purchasing from them? Are they reputable and can something be returned easily without a lot of headaches? Asking because I have purchased only from newegg and tigerdirect in the past and neither show that they currently offer the E6600 or E6700 cpu which is what I am thinking of buying.
Again thank you all the information posted thus far and as I posted before this is all new to me so I appreciate everyone patience. I do have several other questions. Given that I have 1.8Ghz, 2mb cache, 800fsb chip now (E4300):
1) how much performance increase (relatively speaking) would I expect to see going to a 2.4Ghz, 2mb cache, 800fsb chip (E4600)?
2) how much performance increase (relatively speaking) would I expect to see going to a 2.4Ghz, 4mb cache, 1066fsb chip (E6600)?
I am trying to determine if the price differences I see between the 1066fsb vs the 800fsb is worth the difference to me and also how much influence the cache has particularly on video editing performance (which is why I need to upgrade the processor).