What would you do?

rapko

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Here'e my dilema. I'm trying to decide on buying either the Evga 750i FTW (can be had at tiger for $140 shipped) OR going for an i5 setup. My real problem is if I go for the 750i, thats the only component I need to get my new rig up and running. I'll just take my memory and q6600 (getting a bottleneck with it :( and put it into the new rig ) If I go for i5, I need the mobo, cpu, and ddr3. I already figured what I wanted and its going to cost me around $500 shipped. (evga p55 with i5-750 and gskill ram. Its quite a difference in price but I'm the kind of person who would prefer newer stuff since there's lots of talk about the 775 mobo's becoming obsolete. All I really do with my computer is surf the web and play lots of games.

My other components are as follows:

gtx 275
850w kingwin psu
8 gigs of gskill 1066,
ecs 680i LT mobo (JUNK!!!)
640gig hard drive,
q6600 at 2.4 (I want to be able to OC to 3.2 at least but the current mobo is VERY PICKY)

So, what would you guys do? Save money and get the soon-to-be obsolete socket or spend 3 times more cash on newer stuff? I could definitely put the remaining $360 to good use elsewhere) I've been driving myself nuts searching/researching/comparing and I just can't take it anymore. I need help, lol.

If all you do is surf the web and play some games, gateway has some refurbs with the core i7 920 and 3 gigs of ddr3, 4850 video, and 500w power supply for $699. I believe the deal is posted at fatwallet or slickdeals. They also had an amd quad core system for $340.