Q9650 and XFX 750i

I'm having trouble passing blend tests on prime95. The test throws errors after a few minutes or so. I'm beginning to suspect I'm reaching the limit of my memory and may need to OC that. I've attached a cpuz shot for my settings. Here are my voltages and settings:

FSB 1700
MEM 800 (default)
CPUV .2500
MEMV 1.90 (default)
VTT FSB 1.45
NB 1.44
SB 1.56

Here is a short description of my system:

XFX 750i SLI nForce
Windows 7 64bit
Q9650 @ 3.0 GHz
Thermaltake Black Widow V1
8 GB Supertalent DDR2 PC-6400 (800)
2 EVGA GTX 260 SLI
1 OCZ Vertex 120GB SATA II SSD
CoolMax RM-1000B PSU
24" Asus VE245H Widescreen LCD

I don't want to continue to throw voltage at it if I can rule out other factors. I do have a Thermaltake Black Widow V1 providing the cooling. The temps are acceptable but I'm dealing with two factors I BELIEVE could be related to memory. Those factors are: Failing prime95 after < 1 hr and in-game crashing (i.e. BSD).

Is it time to start overclocking the memory? the timings?
42 answers Last reply
More about q9650 750i
  1. well it could be cpu voltage...you might need to add some...
    did you lower the ram speed back to stock after ocing the cpu? because raising the fsb also overclocks your ram...not just the cpu...
  2. I actually never touched the ram so therefore did not need to lower it. It was/is always at stock value.
  3. no no no...did you overclock the cpu using the fsb? because if you did then the ram is also overclocked without you knowing...the fsb controls both cpu and memory speed...so if you overclock the cpu using the fsb then you have to lower the ram speed by lowering the memory divider or memory multiplier or memory frequency (called differently on different motherboards, but they all have it)
  4. ahhhh....yesss......

yes i DID use the FSB to overclock the cpu. So there is the knowledge gap that I have. I do not/have not researched adjusting the memory on my particular board (xfx 750i). I can reach it in the bios and it is defaulted to auto. if i change it to manual, you will see this screen:

5. Look for an OC guide for your motherboard. The Core2 nVidia chipset overclocks a little differently from most.

For memory clock, try the Linked setting. That links the mem clock to the FSB.

Here's what is happening when the memory clock is set to Auto:
    At the stock FSB freq, FSB freq is 333 MHz and memclock is 800 MHz. When you increase the FSB freq to 400 MHz (CPU corespeed = 3.6 GHz), mem clock is (400/333)*800 or 960 MHz. If you set it to Linked, At an FSB freq of 400 MHz, your memory is running at 800 MHz.

There's a very good chance that you can push the memory higher by increasing the RAM voltage to 2.2 volts and relaxing the memory timing from 4-4-4-12 to 5's-15 or 5-5-5-15 to 6's-18.
  6. ^good advice right there...see you don't even need me...lol...yes, an overclocking guide for the core2 nVidia would be really nice for you to read...and if you can find a specific guide for your board - even better!
  7. yes it's a pretty good guide for general cor2 series overclocking...
    it might be slightly different on your motherboard...but the concept is the same...
    also try looking up a guide for overclocking on nVidia chipset...
  8. hey guys, just got home and I've booted into win7 with the Q9650 @ 3.8, 1700 FSB, and 5-5-5-15 timings. voltages settings are 2.375 cpuv, mem 2.20, fsb 1.45, nb 1.44, sb 1.56. keeps blue screening during prime95.
  9. @JSC I dont have a memory clock LINKED option. Could you expand on that a bit? dropped my FSB down to 1600, memory at 800 6-6-6-16. Stable boot and running prime95 now......it seems my issue is the memory. I cant seem to pass 3.6 without becoming unstable, BSD, or unable to post.
  10. You pretty much need a guide for nVidia chipsets. For the generic guide, I like "ours":
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

For a motherboard specific guide:
    http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1848_5.html

Keep in mind that you overclock your system by increasing the FSBclock (stock - 1333 MHz, 4 times the FSB freq). Running at a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio, your memory clock should be 667 MHz. At 3.6 GHz, your FSB clock will be 400 MHz and your mem clock will be 800 MHz. This is the same as the "Linked" setting that you apparently do not have. Contrary to popular belief, you really do not benefit from running the memory faster than the FSB in a Core2 system. We discus that here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth
  11. If your core voltage (CPU) is really at 2.375 volts, it is much too high. Intel's recommended absolute max is 1.45 volts. Long term operation higher than that will likely lead to damage of the CPU chip. You also want to keep your CPU load temps under 70 C as monitored with either RealTemp or CoreTemp.

And if you are going to push the CPU as far as you can, you will need very good cooling. The stock cooler is barely adequate for operation at stock freqs.
  12. I just ran Prime95 stable for 20 min with these bios settings:

FSB 1700, MEM 800 (797 adjusted), cpu ratio 9, cpuv .2625, memv 2.10, vttfsb 1.20, nb 1.36, sb 1.50

20 min aint long, but its the longest its been for me. :)
  13. that first guide you posted, thats the one im using :)
  14. I have a Thermaltake Black Widow V1 on the cpu. The 2.375 was a typo. It was .2375 but I have it at .2500 at the moment.
  15. hey is the cpu voltage +.2625v is that what's going on?
    and get cpuz and make a screen shot to show us whats going on...
    and when you get cpuz show me the memory info/clock too...

16. Boots ok, has run Prime95 ok, crashes on games. Should i be keeping my FSB : DRAM at 1:1 ?
  17. yeah the ram looks good right now...thats the way it should be...don't change to 1:1...
    lol...and the settings seem about right...is it stable at these settings? try adding more cpu voltage or nv voltage...
  18. its stable in windows, on prime95, but not games like Starcraft 2, Half-Life 2 ep 2. I will up the cpuv and i assume you mean northbridge voltage.

19. current config that is stable in windows and prime95 but not games.

Memory is set to auto.
  20. yes by nb I mean north bridge...also try picking you the PCIe clock a little it actually might help with stability
  21. I'll have a look at it tonight and respond. Thanks again for the help.
  22. I run all my Core2 systems:
    GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :(
    GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
    GA-EP35-DS3P | E7500 OC'd to 4.1 GHz (373 MHz X 11)
    GA-G41M-ES2L | E6500 OC'd to 3.87 GHz (352 MHz X 11) MB chipset is FSB limited
    at 1:1. They are all 24 hour Prime95 stable.
  23. I'm going to run a 24 hour prime 95 starting tonight. I just dont get why my games are now unstable. Maybe what Videl said, up the PCI-E speed.....
  24. where would i adjust the PCIE settings? Are you referring to the PCIE latency setting? i believe its increment were 32, 64, 128, etc.
  25. no PCIe clock in megahertz by default it's set to 100Mhz try picking it up a little to like 106 - 112...You can adjust PCIe clock settings here take a look at the first image http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/NVIDIA-790i-SLI,1977-16.html

Also take a look at this it might help you make your oc more stable http://www.my630i.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4416
  26. great find videl. Just finished reading it. I was on track by disabling EIST and spread spectrum. However, he has a Q9400@3.42, FSB1714, DRAM1000, 8 multiplier, and different voltages. His bios voltages were .2850 CPUV, 2.10 MEMV, 1.40 VTT, 1.40NB, and 1.53SB.

Currently I'm at this:

q9650@3.825, 1700 FSB, 800 MEM, .2500 CPUV, 2.10 MEMV, 1.2 VTTFSB, 1.36 NB, 1.50SB. I'd hate to increase these voltages and go higher, especially when I'm very stable now in windows and prime95. Games not so much. I guess I'll continue to raise one voltage one increment at a time and test the games.
  27. yes do that...and I think even though his cpu is different it can help you to try settings closer to his as his fsb is only 14 higher than yours that's why it's a similar setup...
    also try raising the PCIe if nothing seems to help...
  28. sorry to be a dumbazz but how do i raise the PCIe?
  29. It should be in a similar place as on the 70i mobo here... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/NVIDIA-790i-SLI,1977-16.html
    In the first bios picture there you can see PCIe clocks which default to 100Mhz, set them (if you have two of them that is) to some thing like 106 - 112 instead of auto...
    that's it...
  30. I plugged in the numbers from the Q9400 article and i was not able to even POST :( I noticed his DRAM was 1000!

edit: i see no PCIE option in my bios.
  31. yeah his dram frequency was 1000...
    and I really don't know where to find the pcie settings in your bios...as I don
    t have your board I just know that almost all motherboards have em...look thorough your bios...or read the manual and see if it will tell you were to find it...
  32. apparently the PCIe option you are referring to is this: PCI Latency Timer

33. Hmmm first time I hear of it being called that way...lol..it's an nvidia chipset mobo...so kinda different from what I'm used to...
  34. that was the only thing i could find/google about PCIe in the bios.
  35. my games are continuing to crash and here's my gamble on why. Here are my four core temps in-game and these are during MODERATE game play.

Realtemps:

53, 77, 69, 54

the blue screening must be the cpu shutting itself down. thoughts?
  36. well, scratch that theory. my game just crashed with these temps: 53, 76, 69, 54
  37. hmm....wondering what's going on with core 2 if that's what it is...why is it so much higher than the rest....core 3 is hotter than 1 and 4 but not as hot as 2...so wondering what's going on...
  38. sorry for the confusion videl....my cores were arranged differently in the taskbar. What you are seeing is 77 for core 0. I'm willing to bet the game im playing (HL2: ep 2) is using only the single core.... I still have no clue as to why the game crashes....although the temp gets to 77-80 on core 1, it functions fine. Just crashes when a heavier GPU load is induced by the game.
  39. Hmm I see.....
    And I think I see what your problem is/could be...
    What cooling are you using for your cpu? The tamps are getting way hotter than should be...I wouldn't go over 70 on that cpu if I were you...nad those cores are going way over 70...and gpu load also loads the cpu slightly....so it's the same here...when the gpu load goes up it loads the cpu slightly higher as well therfore your computer crashes...the temps are allready too high and the cpu asn't handle it....

And/or you might not even have enough voltage for the scpu still....although the temps need to get lowered asap imo....
  40. yes the temps are getting a bit warm...even at <25% CPU utilization I'm seeing 56, 51, 47, 48 for the cores. I need a new case honestly. This case is not meant for the type of air flow I may need to cool the CPU. However, I DO have an aftermarket cpu cooler (see top of thread) but it is probably working hard against the minimal air flow.

my current settings are:

FSB 1700
    Mem 800
    CPUV .2500
    MemV 2.10
    VTT/FSB 1.225
    NB 1.36
    SB 1.50
    Mem Auto

This is the MOST stable config I have reached and it still crashes with games. Instead of trying to find out what is wrong, maybe you could give me some advice on how to proceed with adjusting my overclocks from this point on.
  41. hmm...sorry for such a late response...
    have you tested with intel burn test to see if it is truly stable?

Heres what I recommend:

1. Get memtest and test your ram...see if thats is what's unstable...

A. If it is...make sure your ram is as close as possible to default and stock clock speeds.
    B. If it is but is still unstable try adding voltage to the northbridge cause thats where the memory controller is located at.
    C. If it is still unstable then it is a big chance it could be just faulty/bad ram. In that case get new ram...lol

2. After you are sure your ram is 100% stable use ibt (intel burn test) to see if cpu is stable. Or use prime 95...but I highly recommend to use ibt....

A. If it is unstable see if adding voltage helps....
    B. If it is still unstable after adding up to .15 volts try adding voltage to the nb because it also controls the link between
    the 2 c2d chips inside your Q9650
    C. If it is still unstable after adding up .1 volts to the nb try raising the pci clock by a little...not recommended to go over
    108mhz...
    D. If it is still unstable it can be the mobo which is refusing to be a good overclocker or your power supply...it could be providing unstable power.

and in that case get a new mobo...because most likely thats would it would be over the psu...
    I hope this helps ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking