Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • Sandisk
  • USB Flash
  • Imation
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2010 11:53:10 PM

what brand of usb flash disc is best for REadyboost..i tried sandisk and imation but it says that the device is cannot be used for readyboost.. im using win7,1gb ram

More about : readyboost

a c 115 G Storage
December 12, 2010 5:03:45 AM

# The device must have an access time of 1 ms or less.
# The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device, and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device.
a c 415 G Storage
December 12, 2010 5:18:37 PM

Memory is cheap - if it can handle it you'll get a much, much better performance payback by adding more memory to your system than by using ReadyBoost.
March 12, 2011 3:23:03 PM

You guys are absolutely right about performance. However, a benefit of readyboost should theoretically be less wear and tear on the hard drive. I have been studying SQL server configurations and a common mistake is failure to plan for a separate drive for tempDB. So, admins sometimes burn out the drive that stores the important long term data by sharing it with transient data. Currently I use an 8gb USB for Readyboost and TEMP files (for personal computing NOT SQL Server of course! LOL). Although with SSD prices coming down, I may go that direction soon.
!