WD SATA 1TB Not Recognized

PCHelpz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hey guys, a few days back i finally finished building my computer with WD Sata 1TB HDD... it all went fine i put in my W7 Ultimate 64 Bit disc and ran thru set up

When i got to the partition stages it has failed to recognise by HDD And i cant seem to find any drivers or anything for it... i got the part from MSY it came with no CD With contained Drivers please help :\ it took me long enough to get W7 working ....

Thanks in advance

You shouldn't need any drivers for the hard drive. There's a small chance you could need drivers for the chipset on your motherboard, but it's probably more likely that the drive isn't enabled properly.

Did you connect both the data and the power cables to the drive? Does the drive spin up when you turn the power on (if you put your hand on the drive itself you can usually feel a slight vibration when it runs).

Sometimes there are multiple SATA controllers on the motherboard and it's also possible that you've connected it to a controller that isn't enabled in the BIOS. Check your motherboard manual to see which ports you should use and check the BIOS configuration to make sure all of the ports are enabled. This is also a good time to make sure the ports are in AHCI mode, the best way to run SATA drives under Windows 7.

PCHelpz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Well i followed both the HD Book and the MB Book preeety well straight and yes it does spin up... how do i check all ports are enabled as i fail at BIOS or anything over there :\ and AHCI mode

Im fairly nooby at all this stuff it took me quite a while to get the computer together but i know i followed the Chipset books and used each seperate manual as a rough guide aswell

Thanks for the response but more info on the last paragraph wold be something wonderful :ange:

The details of how to get into the BIOS settings can vary from one computer to another - typically you need to press a special key such as F2 or DEL just after you turn the computer on (before the Windows logo comes up).

The details of the setup itself are even more individualized - your motherboard manual should describe them. For example for my motherboard they're covered in the chapter called "BIOS Set-up".

eddietel

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

You may have a MB that only supports SATA and if so may have to put a jumper on the HD to make it work in SATA 1 mode. Check your HD manufacturer's website for the correct jumper location and try again. I had this issue with a 500GB SATA II drive and thought my MB was faulty. No so - I just jumpered the drive and all was well.

Give it a try!