Sign in with
Your question

Computer Won't Start, PSU is fine, Graphic Card goes up in flames...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2009 4:15:41 PM

Here is the complete summary of what I have experienced.

-One of my graphic cards (Asus 8600 GT) would no longer play any recent video games without insane lag after having had no problems doing such for over a year. Rolling back drivers would not help. (I am not an overclocker)

-I was having a lot of problems running various software programs which are vital to my employment, which had also been problem free for a year, thus, I finally gave up and decided it would be easier to just reinstall Windows.

I put in the Windows xp cd and set my bios to boot from CD... I see a blue screen that says "Windows Setup" in the upper left corner.... I have not physically begun installing Windows or seen any options/made any choices yet whatsoever.

I go into the other room to get a drink and when I come back the computer is off. I try to restart it but its not possible. Pressing the power button results in the CPU fan spinning for half a second and that is it.

I start by changing the power supply with a different one that I know works, but it does not change anything. And I change this power supply to another computer and it works fine. When the power supply is plugged in and on, the motherboard has a green LED lite up.

My next step was to take off the CMOS battery and switch the jumper for 10 seconds and then put the battery and the jumper back... Still nothing.

After searching online, I see that someone suggests removing the CPU fan from the motherboard to see if that is the problem. I do so, and for the first time, my back panel fan starts spinning very fast like it normally would but my 8600 GT graphic card goes up in flames. This is instant, like within 2 seconds... I quickly pull the plug from the wall... I did not have a chance to see what (if anything) was displayed on my monitor, which was not plugged into the 8600 GT graphic card but my second graphic card.

That is where I am at now. Why did unplugging the CPU fan cause my graphic card to go up in flames in 2 seconds?

Does the back panel fan finally spinning after disconnecting my CPU fan suggest that the CPU is the actual problem?

Whatever the problem is, do you think it was caused somehow by my attempt to reinstall Windows (I had not yet started) or is it completely coincidental?

Thanks.
July 26, 2009 6:33:32 PM

You just got an imperfect 8600gt,my 8800gt did the same lit up like the aurora,fried one power transistor...
Why would you want to remove the fan off the cpu ??,you might fry your cpu,you can see that it is running just by looking,seems that your back fan may have a temperature sensor thus the increase in speed when it senses the extra heat from the cpu??.
a c 172 à CPUs
July 26, 2009 6:49:59 PM

That is where I am at now. Why did unplugging the CPU fan cause my graphic card to go up in flames in 2 seconds?
It did not. It was "merely" an unfortunate coincidence.

Does the back panel fan finally spinning after disconnecting my CPU fan suggest that the CPU is the actual problem?
No. dokk2 answered that quite nicely.

Whatever the problem is, do you think it was caused somehow by my attempt to reinstall Windows (I had not yet started) or is it completely coincidental?
Completely coincidental.
July 26, 2009 8:45:51 PM

"I have had faulty CPU fans cause the entire Motherboard not to POST so you could disconnect that connector, then try turning on (if it actually stays on then turn it off straight away, and replace the CPU fan.)"

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic117077.html

he had 17000 posts so...
Related resources
!