Popping sound coming through speakers

jbarnes45

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I installed a Denon surround sound receiver with Boston speakers and subwoofer the other day. The receiver and subwoofer are connected to a power surge strip into a typical electrical outlet in my wall. I shut off the power surge strip last night. When I turned on the power surge strip this morning, and then the turned on the receiver and tv, loud popping sounds came out of the speakers. What do you think oculd be the cause? Voltage build-up released when I turned on the power surge strip? Speaker wires touching? I have a wireless router and cable modemn about 6 feet from the receiver. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

dvanholland

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I could be inconsistent power. I'm no electrician, but when I used to live in the dorms my Logitech z5500s would always pop every once and a while. The computer and the speakers were hooked up to a surge protector. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jbarnes45

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
That's what I thought, too, but I hooked up other electronics as well. They all performed just fine. Also checked it out with an ohmmeter and the circuit appears OK.

I sent the receiver back to the manufacturer. I am sure they will say that it is OK. LOL!