Need Help Deciding on Computer to Buy

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Processors
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 26, 2009 5:51:22 PM

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit

Processors: Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Hard Drive: 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Optical Drives Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

The price is $1200CDN (before taxes) and after taxes $1370.77 from Dell
This seems like a pretty good deal to me, but what do I know? I could really use some advice here. I'm planning on keeping this computer for years (5+). Is this a good computer for gaming (would be be able to run today's games at acceptable speeds?). And feed back would be appreciated.

Also, how are these i7 processors and am I getting good value for this price? Are Dells reliable enough to last me 5 years? It also says this computer comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7, will this computer be able to handle Windows 7?

More about : deciding computer buy

July 26, 2009 6:04:42 PM

all good parts and can easily run Win7 but rather expensive for what you get

if you want to go with DELL, buy one of their cheaper models with a solid CPU (non-XPS models)
purchase RAM, a solid PSU and GPU off newegg. Even if you pay a computer shop to install the new parts (all of which you can easily do yourself) you would still save $400 if not more.
July 26, 2009 6:08:01 PM

ok, if you got all of your parts from newegg.ca you could actually get a much better computer for about 1460 after shipping and taxes (1245 before shipping taxes and handling), all of the parts are probably much better quality than what dell would give you

Intel Core i7
ASUS P6T SE
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
G.SKILL 6GB DDR3-1600
Corsair 750TX
Western Digital Black 1TB
Sony Optiarc 24X CD/DVD Rewritable
Antec 300

its really not that hard to put together a computer yourself
you can download Windows 7 RC for free and use it until July then you would have to buy it
Related resources
July 26, 2009 6:10:55 PM

btw, im not so good with canadian sites (since im in the US)
July 26, 2009 6:14:40 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
Check this out
Its a bare bone kit. All I need to get is a GPU and an Optical Drive That bumps the price to about $1000, but the OS, shipping and taxes would only save me a bit of money, right?

a much better way to go

in the US, DELL charges for shipping and tax. I would assume (but don't know) it would be the same for Canucks.
July 26, 2009 6:21:12 PM

ct1615 said:
a much better way to go

in the US, DELL charges for shipping and tax. I would assume (but don't know) it would be the same for Canucks.

Shipping is for this particular computer is free, but the $150 tax and $20 "Evnironment Fee" is a killer (for me at least)

I've never built a computer before so Im not 100% on this but I'll still consider it.
July 26, 2009 6:24:46 PM

^find a guide on google, it really isn't hard to build a computer.
July 26, 2009 6:30:33 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
^find a guide on google, it really isn't hard to build a computer.

Not really the assembly, more of the configurations. Are there default configurations for the BIOS when you first turn it on or do you have to set it manually?

Does this look like a good set? I need one of those anti-static straps.
July 26, 2009 6:39:56 PM

Normally you should be able to boot up fine with default bios settings and the only thing you might have to manually set is the RAM timings and voltage. but if you get good RAM then you won't have to do that. You don't really need a tool kit. Most screws are just Philips head. Also unless you walking around with your socks dragging your feet on carpet then you don't need a anti-static wrist band. But if makes your more confident then its only a couple dollars so why not. And I agree, the configuration is the hardest but if you post of the Home Built section people will be happy to look over the configuration and make sure everything is looking okay.
!