Sign in with
Your question

When to bump when OC'ing, when to run Prime95

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2011 4:56:11 PM

Im on my 1st over clocking mission. Not sure if Im doing it right. How long should I leave prime95 running after making my incremental adjustments in the bios. If i ran one for 24 hours every time it would take 2 months straight to overclock it. Is there something i do each step of the way that tells me , " hey you can try bumping that again". thanks for any help you can give. Just wanted a clear understanding also of what im looking at when looking at the prime95 program.

More about : bump ing run prime95

a c 197 K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 5:17:20 PM

Until I get close to the final settings, I run Prime95 10 - 15 minutes, primarily to check my load temps. Once I get close, I start trying to run Prime95 for 24 hours.
m
l
January 24, 2011 5:23:25 PM

jsc said:
Until I get close to the final settings, I run Prime95 10 - 15 minutes, primarily to check my load temps. Once I get close, I start trying to run Prime95 for 24 hours.

the temperature is what scared me it seems they go up over time, Im scared to leave prime95 running all night. What should my temps be on my equipment? and is the only way to get them cooler is water cooling?
m
l
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 4:48:25 PM

Running Prime95 for 15 minutes will maximize your core temps.

To be honest, most of us here do not run P95 for 24 hours (I am an exception :) ) to check for stability. If you are not running mission essential software, a 4 - 6 hour P95 test should be adequate. And if you are running mission essential software, you should not be overclocking.

Properly designed and installed liquid coooling is superior to air cooling.I use air with good coolersin good cases.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 5:31:38 PM

What i do is overclock little by little until i can no longer load into windows.

Then, from there, I will back down the voltage, FSB/BCLK/Multi (<--- whichever yours uses) or both a couple ticks until i can load into windows again.

Once loaded into windows, run Prime for 15 minutes to monitor temps and see if it is stable.

If not stable, back down voltage and clocks a little more and repeat above.

Once you are able to boot into Windows, run prime for 15 minutes and have temps not go beyond 70c (as the first 15 minutes of prime temps are usually the highest temps your CPU will ever see) and see no errors with prime, run prime for about 6 hours and prey that there is no blue screen.

After 6 hours, stop prime (but do not close it) and check for errors and time them by 4, so if you have 1 error in a 6 hour period multiplied by 4, there are basically 4 errors in a 24 hour period.

To me, this is not stable, i will allow 1 error over 24 hours to consider my OC stable. (keep in mind that i also run prime for 24 hours as i am a loon about errors on OC's)
m
l
!