Sign in with
Your question

Asus m2n sli wont even boot

Last response: in Motherboards
October 10, 2009 3:51:12 AM

I have an 1 year old PC that I mounted up myself (bought pieces) with the following specs:

PSU: 650W
Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 AM2
Xfx 8600gt 512mb
1 IDE HDD
1 SATA HDD
1 IDE DVD-Writer
1 Exaust fan
1 Cooling fan (replacing a broken one from the PSU)

My problem is that I was happily playing l4d (everything in medium, about 50fps) when my PC crashed. Again. I've been having BSODs with something about KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR for about two days, but hadn't time to check the PC or do a full maintenance (yes, I'm an idiot).
But this time was different. It just looped the graphics (2 secs loop?) and the audio. I pressed reset. And the PC never ever booted again.

I've dismounted it completely, wiped out all the dust, cleaned the old and added new thermal compound... but nothing happened. It just stucks without even showing me the "ASUS" green "welcome" screen, even though it turns on.
Also, both the green "power on" led and the red "I'm thinking" led turn on, but they remain like that all the time. The CPU makes no sounds at all.
Another thing, is that after a minute or so, the dissipator of the bios chipset becomes hot like hell, and the dissipator of the CPU also heats a bit.
Both HDDs start to spin, but only for a couple of secs before stoping forever.
And about the dvd, tried with a 9.40 live cd, but... it wasn't booting, it was a fake hope.

More about : asus m2n sli wont boot

a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2009 4:31:42 AM

Pull both connections to each drive - see if it boots.

The PSU doesn't have a fan? Should try a new PSU at some point.

You pulled the CPU and replaced it? why? Try the same with the RAM. Try with one stick only, both singly.
October 10, 2009 5:01:12 AM

Mongox said:
Pull both connections to each drive - see if it boots.

The PSU doesn't have a fan? Should try a new PSU at some point.

You pulled the CPU and replaced it? why? Try the same with the RAM. Try with one stick only, both singly.

Already tried with both HDDs and the DVD each one alone. Nothing.

The PSU does have a fan, but just no the default one, because it died (due to human error), and I replaced it with one I bought (Never turned on the PC with the un-fanned PSU). The new fan is located exactly in the old's place, but it's power supply comes from outside the PSU.

Nooo I didn't mean the CPU, lol. I meant the little nVidia chipset located right(-->>) from the PCI-E slots, under the RAMs.

Tried the RAM stuff. Nothing again =(.

I'm starting to think that the motherboard is dead T_T
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2009 7:40:57 AM

Could be. So much "computer won't turn on" problems are easy to solve with just a few spare parts.
October 10, 2009 7:52:04 AM

Hahaha turns out that I'm (and I mean right now) searching for a new MotherBoard.
!