Power Supply Clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsdude24

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hello All,

So, I am in the middle of my first ever computer build and I am running into a problem.

My power supply is making a clicking noise at regular intervals under a second.
The CPU, Graphics Card, and Case Fans are all coming on but the LEDs on the case and on the mobo are flickering simultaneously with the clicking noise.

Any ideas as to the problem?
I have gotten the same problem with two different power supplies now.

A Rosewill 500w and an Antec 650w.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
MOBO: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Cavier 500GB
Case: NZXT Apollo Black

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Mechanarchy
Solution
That clicking noise is the PSU's voltage regulator repeatedly shutting off the power and turning it back on. This is why it's timed with the blinking lights.

Something is preventing the PSU from delivering it's power to the MoBo so it just keeps spiking over and over.
Hmmm, sounds like a short or overload somewhere. Did you use standoffs under every mounting hole, and make sure there are none where there isn't a hole? Disconnect all of the case lights, and basically anything not needed to POST, and see what happens. Power off, add one thing back, and power on, until a problem appears; the last one you added is your culprit.

jetsdude24

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Forgot to mention, I still have not gotten to the BIOS screen and have yet to see anything flash on the monitor. I am positive that the standoffs are mounted correctly.

I continue to get this clicking sound from the power supply.

J0SEPH

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
That clicking noise is the PSU's voltage regulator repeatedly shutting off the power and turning it back on. This is why it's timed with the blinking lights.

Something is preventing the PSU from delivering it's power to the MoBo so it just keeps spiking over and over.

Solution

J0SEPH

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I'd follow jtt283's advise. The clicking noise/fickering lights usually doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the PSU. It's like repeatedly throwing the main circuit breaker in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.