Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Supply Clicking

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2009 7:54:50 PM

Hello All,

So, I am in the middle of my first ever computer build and I am running into a problem.

My power supply is making a clicking noise at regular intervals under a second.
The CPU, Graphics Card, and Case Fans are all coming on but the LEDs on the case and on the mobo are flickering simultaneously with the clicking noise.

Any ideas as to the problem?
I have gotten the same problem with two different power supplies now.

A Rosewill 500w and an Antec 650w.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
MOBO: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Cavier 500GB
Case: NZXT Apollo Black

Thanks in advance.

More about : power supply clicking

a c 104 ) Power supply
a c 174 U Graphics card
July 26, 2009 8:18:23 PM

Hmmm, sounds like a short or overload somewhere. Did you use standoffs under every mounting hole, and make sure there are none where there isn't a hole? Disconnect all of the case lights, and basically anything not needed to POST, and see what happens. Power off, add one thing back, and power on, until a problem appears; the last one you added is your culprit.
July 26, 2009 8:27:22 PM

Forgot to mention, I still have not gotten to the BIOS screen and have yet to see anything flash on the monitor. I am positive that the standoffs are mounted correctly.

I continue to get this clicking sound from the power supply.
Related resources
July 26, 2009 8:29:17 PM

my power supply occasionally does that under high load, or sometimes during startup. I can't think of any valid reason for why that happens, so i requested an RMA.

Best solution

July 26, 2009 8:40:17 PM

That clicking noise is the PSU's voltage regulator repeatedly shutting off the power and turning it back on. This is why it's timed with the blinking lights.

Something is preventing the PSU from delivering it's power to the MoBo so it just keeps spiking over and over.
July 26, 2009 8:44:38 PM

Any way to fix this then?
a c 104 ) Power supply
a c 174 U Graphics card
July 26, 2009 8:49:40 PM

It happens with multiple PSUs, so it is probably some other component. Try to isolate it by minimizing what is connected, as I described above.
July 26, 2009 8:52:13 PM

I minimized it to only the mobo and the PSU and still getting the same symptoms :-(
July 26, 2009 8:54:24 PM

I'd follow jtt283's advise. The clicking noise/fickering lights usually doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the PSU. It's like repeatedly throwing the main circuit breaker in your house.
July 26, 2009 8:56:50 PM

jetsdude24 said:
I minimized it to only the mobo and the PSU and still getting the same symptoms :-(

your mobo's either improperly grounded or defective
July 26, 2009 9:00:53 PM

Thank you for the quick replies everyone. Going to call GIGABYTE tomorrow.
August 5, 2009 4:41:48 PM

As it ends up, I think the mobo was defective. Got a new one last night and installed with ease
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 5:48:22 PM

Thanks for the update, it's always good to hear back and find out a problem was fixed, even if it was a RMA for a faulty mobo.
June 12, 2010 3:43:07 PM

Same problem. Rma-ing a MSI m/b... also problems w/ power management. Two birds, one stone.
February 6, 2013 11:32:52 AM

Okay well ill call msi today for a RMA and hopping for this to work
!