ASUS P8P67 LGA Mobo BIOS question

celtics999

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I will be building a sandy bridge build tomorrow with this motherboard and i have read there have been some issues with the bios. Would it be a good idea to update the bios as soon as I get it?

If a bios update is available at the time,
then read up on the revision and see if anything has been altered that affects you, no point in updating a working bios that isn't going to change anything,
for example, if a revision changes cpu support, unless your changing your chip, theres no real reason to do it,
if it 'addresses stability issues' then it would be worth considering
Moto

celtics999

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

According to the website there is a new update. Are you saying that it would be pointless to update if the bios was running smoothly?

The usual recommendation: In the first several revisions of a new board's BIOS, it is a good idea to keep current. They will be working to get things stable and performing at top speed. Once the company has stabilized the BIOS so it is bug-free and working well (may take a months or two), then you can keep the version that works for you until you see something new that you actually need.

Having said that, I keep current on BIOS updates whether I need them or not. I usually check once a month or so, and I download and install them as soon as they appear.