Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to Play Games, CPU Usage.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 26, 2009 8:44:44 PM

I am not entirely sure if this is in the correct section but for the past month ive been having problems with my CPU Usage.

Sometimes when browsing the web with numerous tabs open my CPU Usage will go too 100% untill i close my browser. But this isnt only in Google Chrome.

But this isnt the only problem, I'm a gamer and for the past month i have been unable to play ANY game for 5-10 minutes or longer because my CPU Usage shoots right up and will basically lagg me out so much i have to ALT + F4.

Something i have noticed that whats gaining all of this usage is a svchost. Now i havnt ended it because i know that it can be potentially unsafe to cancel out these Host Processes. I have scanned my computer with AVG and i am free of any viruses. Also Windows Defender has detected no spyware/adware.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64.
My Processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ ~3.0GHz
I have 2 Gigabytes of Ram.
I am using an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT with 1024 MB Video Memory
And i am using the motherboard that came with my BareBone (V3-P5G45)

----

I have looked through my Processes and havnt found anythink harmful (Welchia Worm)

----

I am in dire need of your help because now its the summer holidays and i cant game on anything because my PC just doesnt hold out long enough.

Thank-you.
July 26, 2009 8:50:14 PM

Im not a tech genius or anything but you could download the trial of eset nod32 and rescan in safe mode because avg free is pretty terrible :) . Other than that I dunno, you can check msconfig and stop non-microsoft services and startup apps.
July 26, 2009 8:58:58 PM

I dont really like Trials and i only have Microsoft Services running except AVG and 1 NVIDIA one. I have no startup applications.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2009 12:18:33 PM

Overheating? Sounds like the CPU is throttling to me...

Download CPUz and let us know what speed its running at; I'd be shocked if the FSB/Multi wasn't underclocking...
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2009 2:11:34 PM

Maybe it's a virus.

/scream
July 29, 2009 4:54:39 PM

gamerk316 said:
Overheating? Sounds like the CPU is throttling to me...

Download CPUz and let us know what speed its running at; I'd be shocked if the FSB/Multi wasn't underclocking...


Core Speed - 3000.2 MHz
Multiplier - x 15.0
Bus Speed - 200.0 MHz
HT Link - 1000 MHz

July 29, 2009 5:15:11 PM

have you downloaded the AMD Dual core Optimizer?
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2009 5:41:37 PM

CnQ bug? I have heard that things like this happen if CnQ is enabled with no driver for it or something like that.

maybe try the windows malicious software removal tool, which targets specific malware that are hard to remove in windows, maybe that can help

if not, reinstall lol
July 30, 2009 5:15:21 PM

Helloworld - No i will do it now.

Theholylancer - I will try that also and update you on it
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 5:26:25 PM

theholylancer said:
CnQ bug? I have heard that things like this happen if CnQ is enabled with no driver for it or something like that.

maybe try the windows malicious software removal tool, which targets specific malware that are hard to remove in windows, maybe that can help

if not, reinstall lol

Careful mate, you'll incur the wrath of swifty posting comments like that!
July 30, 2009 5:28:54 PM

I dont actually intend on reinstalling, It will be my very last option if anything. If i had too reinstall i would rather wait untill Windows 7 is released.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 5:43:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Careful mate, you'll incur the wrath of swifty posting comments like that!



why lol, this is the fastest way of fixing any errors, its to do a proper reinstall with fresh drivers that fixes issues, and fresh copy of windoz that won't have a ton of bloat.

or is swifty a person that I should know?

anyways, try known good tools to see what is going on, if not boot into safe mode and run minimal stuff with no internet and see if this happens, if it dosen't, then it would definitely be either fudgy drivers, or malware.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 5:49:07 PM

theholylancer said:
why lol, this is the fastest way of fixing any errors, its to do a proper reinstall with fresh drivers that fixes issues, and fresh copy of windoz that won't have a ton of bloat.

or is swifty a person that I should know?

anyways, try known good tools to see what is going on, if not boot into safe mode and run minimal stuff with no internet and see if this happens, if it dosen't, then it would definitely be either fudgy drivers, or malware.

You and I know and accept this, swifty morgan on the other hand gets quite upset that a reinstall of Windoze is a viable fix, even though he/she will fail to offer another solution. Just trying to make you aware of the firing line you have inadvertently stepped into.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 5:59:04 PM

ok who is swifty morgan? google turned up nothing so it has to be a real person, and internet e-bashing isn't gona kill me lol....

and how is this a fine line? you either reformat or try to solve issue, binary choice, unless you count the thousands of different paths you can take to fix the issue without reformatting with registry edits and what nots.


tbh, I'm quite intrigued at this morgan fellow, sounds like that undead in wow that you kill in duskwood.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 7:48:01 PM

theholylancer said:
ok who is swifty morgan? google turned up nothing so it has to be a real person, and internet e-bashing isn't gona kill me lol....

and how is this a fine line? you either reformat or try to solve issue, binary choice, unless you count the thousands of different paths you can take to fix the issue without reformatting with registry edits and what nots.


tbh, I'm quite intrigued at this morgan fellow, sounds like that undead in wow that you kill in duskwood.

Have a quick read through this thread and you may see what I mean. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-266351_15_0.html
July 30, 2009 7:56:43 PM

Was it an Asus motherboard ? Because the somewhat lower ( low-end / mainstream ) boards tend to overheat at the transistors NEXT to the cpu, the side nearest to the backplate with the connectors and such.
Aiming a fan at it could be worth a try.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 8:10:29 PM

lol interesting thread.... guess his bottleneck was his CPU and not GPU related.

but oh well there are going to be lots of people whom never know what are disk images of fresh windows installs or worked in a large environment where you have to use images and other tools to shorten the troubleshooting time.
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2009 8:10:45 PM

Without some more data, anything we might suggest are really just shots in the dark. Please use the tutorials below to try and narrow down the possibilities:

How to generate a system health report:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/82728-system-health-r...

checking the Reliability Monitor for errors:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69535-reliabilty-moni...

Troubleshooting Sequence:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/101393-repair-vista-o...


Process Monitor (Task Manager on steroids - Highly useful for identifying apps inflating generic processes like svchost)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...



Troubleshoot Stop Errors:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/208876-stop-errors-tr...

How to check system files in Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sf...

How to perform a Startup repair:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair....

How to perform a full system repair:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-...

Suggestions to Improve Performance
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-perfor...
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2009 9:44:00 AM

^ Nice links.
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2009 12:42:49 PM

cut and paste answer to thread with not enough info, mind if i borrowed lol?
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2009 1:31:02 PM

theholylancer said:
cut and paste answer to thread with not enough info, mind if i borrowed lol?



Borrow away!

I get a *lot* of mileage out of those! :lol: 
August 1, 2009 5:17:18 PM

Ok so i have done Malicious Tool thing and it found nothing.

AVG and windows defender both found nothing.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2009 3:03:55 AM

Blame your Prime Minister and it'll all be good.
a c 105 à CPUs
August 2, 2009 5:14:16 AM

amdfangirl said:
Blame your Prime Minister and it'll all be good.


I blame the liberal media....
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2009 7:19:04 AM

I blame the parents...
August 2, 2009 2:43:08 PM

Guys you've gone a little bit offtopic.

Now i intend on getting this problem fixed. If you dont have anything useful to say

then just dont reply.
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2009 9:49:39 AM

Try Linux on an external flash disk and see if the same thing occurs.
August 3, 2009 8:21:41 PM

Problem Solved.

Overheating / Cooling Issue.

CPU Running at 75 Degreese Idle.
MotherBoard running at 60 Degreese Idle.

Thanks for your efforts.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2009 5:18:06 AM

If you solve your problem, end the thread.
!