Which GTX 285 card should i get?

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

killerzuchini

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Well hey! I wasn't even aware I could purchase a backplate for my 285. Anywho, that'll be the one you want to go with. The 2gb is overkill/pointless, and you can always OC to Superclock levels anyway. Always buy the vanilla kind.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
well, first off, logic. how could that crappy alluminum plate drop temperatures by 20 (holy crap.... 20!!!!) degrees. dont you think every card would come with a magic aluminum plate that drops temps by 20 degrees.

second, forums are full of people that tried the plate, and only saw a 1-2 degree difference, if any. some even report slightly higher temperatures.

again, logic. please please think about this one.

3rd, theres a lot of talk about that review having been manipulated with fan speeds.

i however encourage you to purchase the plate, and then PLEASE come back here and inform those without logic that it doesnt work.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My BFG GTX285 OC2 ( 694 core ) run @ 60-62c on gaming with fan @ 60% ....
The highest ive seens is while running a GPU stress test with fan @ 70% and 72c.
You DONT need the backplate ...

If your whilling to OC your card, buy the NON oced one and have fun. If you dont want to play with it, buy the Factory OCed one, the waranty cover the OCed speed to WORK.

IM REALLY happy with my GTX285. Hope you will !

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
oh, i was snooping around on evga's site and found reports that the back plate doesent actually do anything, even slows heat transfer. wow that forum poster is a douche, mod should close that topic -.-

anyway, i heard the SSC (or vanilla) as its called, is pretty good, havent found it anywhere because i might be out of stock, anyone know where to find it?

And to boulard : i might get the BFG, but then i wont get the EVGA control panel for the graphics card D:

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
also, i was watching something on youtube, the guy was using a brand new computer, and he had an EVGA card, and i guess he must of opened up EVGA's setup and download the video drive, graphics drive and such, same with BFG?