Sign in with
Your question

What is the fastest and best SSD now?

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2010 8:35:56 PM

I am most concerned with how fast system boots up, resets, and application launch...

what is the best?

I have a velociraptor now... would SSD show me any speed increase?

More about : fastest ssd

a b G Storage
December 2, 2010 8:53:54 PM

I believe the PCIe based OCZ revodrive X2 is pretty much the fastest SSD right now: review

Next I think comes the Crucial RealSSD C300 drives, followed by the SandForce controller drives, and then the consistently excellent Intel drives.

There's also the very fast, but very expensive Fusion-ioXtreme drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2010 2:31:43 AM

You should notice a small decrease in boot time with a good ssd. Resets and app launch are almost instantaneous.

However, the increase is small enough that imho you should wait for the new drives coming out in q1 2011. Intel g3 and sandforce 2000 based drives with 25nm nand.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2010 1:15:52 PM

so better stuff comming out soon ?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2010 1:58:20 PM

Yes, the Intel G3 drives and the SandForce 2000 drives are due soon.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 3, 2010 5:59:26 PM

The vertex 2 is fast... but not as fast as a revodrive. If it's in the OP's budget, it is the fastest.

Legitreviews (08-Nov-2010):
Quote:
OCZ has taken the already impressive RevoDrive and kicked it up to a whole new level with the RevoDrive X2. It simply rocks. It's hands-down the fastest SSD we have used and its elegant simplicity in use and installation makes it all the more appealing for users of all levels. If you are the type that has to have the fastest and best of everything, this is the drive to have.
Mind that the revodrive is a RAID setup and therefore there are TRIM considerations.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 4:10:58 AM

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

99$ store brand 64G sandforce based SSD, rebadged adata turbo. = boot drive for now..

I have 2 of these. both workin good.

unless you have a very new motherboard I'd stay away from SSD raid unless you are ready for some trial and error.

I had a raid 0 that was over 500MB/sec and this drive is much faster for everything except benchmarks
m
l
December 5, 2010 1:27:03 PM

Let me tell you this story about a time in the '80s when I was in corporate life. The law firm we worked with had 18 Macs, all hooked up to a single server HD. The partner was told repeatedly that this was not the way to go, but he didn't care, and thought backups were for the birds. One day a disgruntled employee just walked out with the HD. That was the end of the law firm.

I only have faith in:

a) God
b) Democracy
c) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

And there are times when I aint so sure about b and c. :) 
m
l
December 5, 2010 1:41:34 PM

Don't count any team out that has Josh Freeman under center. He's still mighty green but he's going to be the terror of the conference from next year on. :) 

Now... back to SSDs... :) 

My concern as I was explaining in the other thread is that I write and read humongous amounts of data. On any given day I'll slap up 50GB and then erase most of it. A file I was working on yesterday was 14GB. While I'm writing this, I'm doing a batch search and replace on 72,000 files. Should I just get 1 x SSDs (1 boot, 1 data & an external HD I already have for backup and archive) and not worry be happy?
m
l
December 5, 2010 1:49:49 PM

The OCZ Vertex 2 seems to be the most recommended drive, but do you think that one could hold up to my level of HD thrashing?
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:07:36 PM

Crucial RealSSD C300
OCZ Vertex 2
Revo Drive if you have the money lawl
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:16:03 PM

What about the Intel and Sandforce that's supposed to be launching soon? Any chances that either of them will be shipping by Jan. 10?
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:48:43 PM

Expected to be pricy, huh? OK back to reality. How well does the OCZ Vertex 2 handle garbage collection, TRIM, etc.? Do I have to worry about my heavy duty data habits?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 3:33:35 PM

GregDz11 said:
The revo drive you guys are recommending is a PCIe 4x slot interface, I don't think my MB has one. It has 2x PCI-16 and a couple PCI-1's

Any input on that?

Here's my MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It can go in your unused 16x slot. PCIe cards are compatible with the higher bandwidth slots. PCIe-4x will fit into 4x, 8x, and 16x slots.
m
l
December 5, 2010 3:57:24 PM

OK, let's say I was overtaken by temporary insanity and wanted to skip optional things like eating and paying the rent. What would you think of:

Boot Drive:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$129

+

Data Drive:

OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$299

(Keeping in mind I might save $50 and go for the 80GB)

Would this combo handle my crazy write-read usage?

BTW, in my day, TRIM had an entirely different meaning. Aaaaah... for the good ol' days!

:) 
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:05:58 PM

Ah, one more Q: The mobo I'll be using will be H67, most likely by Asus as I am lusting after their EFI. Will this fly controller-slot-wise?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 4:18:15 PM

^+1
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:34:35 PM

OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTX96G 2.5" 96GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I dunno... I'm thinking that I could give up an extra $40 and lose 16 GB and stick with the Revo.

Besides, if I can't agonize on Tom's where can I go? Bucs don't play for another 3 hours! :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 4:36:05 PM

You don't want a Vertex, you want a Vertex 2. The difference is Indilinx vs. SandForce controller. SandForce is better/faster.
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:42:36 PM

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I stand corrected. Yeah, it does seem to be a good alternative given that the price is $65 cheaper.

So....

Boot Drive:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

$129

+

Data Drive:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$184

So how am I controller-wise on the slots on an Asus H67?
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:51:29 PM

Okey pokey! That's the setup then:

IF and I mean IF Sandy benchies on shipping silicon are as good as they "should be" then on Jan. 10 my credit card gets docked for (approx. pricing):

i7 2600 $300
Asus H67 $200
4 x 4 GB RAM $250
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB + 90GB $300
Seasonic SS-460FL Fanless PSU $150
Noctua NH-D14 $80

Under $1300 for a fanless state of the art rig. Not bad! :) 

Critique away! I wanna make sure that this is "the system"!

m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 12:39:37 AM

Wait until Feb. 10 and match your sand to your 25nm Nand. They say intel's G3 will come out in q1 2011. Maybe it will be available jan. 10 but set your sites on feb. The rumor is that 25nm nand will allow for more nand per wafer and therefore lower price per gb.

However, it sounds like the new nand will have a slightly shorter lifespan and you may be using this lifespan. If you managed to use all your write cycles I would argue you got your money's worth out of the drive. Buy another. Also, if you are writing and reading 50GB a day you definitely need to invest in proper hardware. It will save you a lot of time.
m
l
December 6, 2010 1:06:12 AM

No can do. Jan. 10 or I use a cheesy laptop on Jan. 11. I soooooooooooo wish I could wait!!! :( 

I've kept track of my writes since this morning and I'm at 38.4GB total. And that's 'cuz it's a Sunday and I've taken a lot of time off to watch the NFL.

I sure as hell don't wanna buy a new SSD every month or even worse, lose data right in the middle of my workday.

So what do you suggest, forgetting the SSD data drive and just sticking with a high quality platter HD?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 1:37:44 AM

Not every month. Every 3 to 5 years? Maybe more. You can write 50GB/day, depending on the size of the drive, for quite some time. But, I will never use up my writes on an any ssd. You might. That was the suggestion.

Still, you need proper storage if you are that busy! You won't 'lose' data if you run out of writes. You will simply have a read only drive.
m
l
December 6, 2010 1:53:07 AM

Well, I've never kept a system for more than 2 years to date, so if it will last me that long, that would be great.

Let me clarify something... It's now that day in the future when the SSD is worn out and read only. By backing up all the data on it and reformatting it, will it be like new again, or when it's gone it's gone?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 2:29:50 AM

From what I understand gone is gone. The actual mosfets break down and will no longer write. I read something somewhere about rejuvenating the cells?

As you say. 2 years and we start fresh. Don't worry about it. The word is that the 'average' cell will fail after 3-5k writes (current 25nm Nand). However half of them may well last for 10k writes. So half the drive is still working fine but you find your useful space slowly deteriorating?

Don't worry about it. Buy the drive, use the drive, replace the drive next Christmas when price/GB drops below 1$/gb for 300MB/s read and write with 50k iops AND a nice cap protecting your writes in the event of power failure.
m
l
December 6, 2010 3:19:13 AM

Ah, why can't I just dig out the Mr. Fusion and set the Flux Capacitor for next Xmas? :) 

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! :) 
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:52:59 PM

adampower said:
Wait until Feb. 10 and match your sand to your 25nm Nand. They say intel's G3 will come out in q1 2011. Maybe it will be available jan. 10 but set your sites on feb. The rumor is that 25nm nand will allow for more nand per wafer and therefore lower price per gb.

However, it sounds like the new nand will have a slightly shorter lifespan and you may be using this lifespan. If you managed to use all your write cycles I would argue you got your money's worth out of the drive. Buy another. Also, if you are writing and reading 50GB a day you definitely need to invest in proper hardware. It will save you a lot of time.

So waiting makes sense?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 7, 2010 4:59:42 PM

In my opinion waiting makes sense. Malmental makes a good point that 3 months (approx) waiting may be too much for you. However, the next generation of SSD should be significantly better. Intel g3 and sandforce 2000 series will provide significant improvements to speed, data integrity, and (probably) price/GB.

Again, your raptor is good. SSDs are better. The question is whether to milk the raptor to get a GREAT ssd or get a pretty darn good ssd now. If it's a question of $100 for a 60gb vertex II you might just drop the bill and run your os and a couple games from the drive until you get the itch to upgrade again. Maybe next Christmas you can get a 1tb ssd and throw out all your spinners.
m
l
December 12, 2010 3:32:25 PM

thanks..

I might hang tight till after christmas and re-evaluate
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:52:16 PM

lol... I got the itch and scratched it with vertex2 120gig:) 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 21, 2010 7:05:46 PM

Vertex 2 is a good choice. Enjoy your new toy.

malmental-> what's with the new avatar?? Matrix fanatic?
m
l
December 22, 2010 12:49:43 AM

halfcalf, i'm building a sandy bridge 2600 too with the asus. Just out of curosity, what kind of ram are you buying? Also, your psu is only 460w. What kind of vid cards are you going to run?

As for SSD...i'm in the same boat. Part of me wants to get the vertex now...another part of me is screaming to wait for the sandforce 2000 and just chug along with my wd caviar black for a little bit longer.
m
l
December 27, 2010 12:45:20 PM

Anything I need to know or do special when I install my SSD?
m
l
December 27, 2010 1:04:24 PM

Thanks.. I have read that before I think it came with my SSD in the box.. I glanced over it. Glad you posted it as I read it and seems to sink in this time much better.

Basically I should ignore people telling me to move systems files off the SSD it sounds like...

and just use my other HDD's for storage of media
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:25:15 AM

The original thread maker asked what the fastest SSD was. There is still a faster drive that blows the doors off anything and everything that has been said so far.

OCZ the same maker of the RevoDrive X2 produces something TWICE as fast but... is most likely out of your budget. I thought I would include it incase you win the lottery. :-D

OCZ Z-Drive R2 P88
Price $4,150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227517

Performance
Sequential Access - Read up to 1.4GB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 1.4GB/s
Capacity: 1TB
Interface: PCI Express
Features: 512MB on board Cache
Sustained Write: up to 950MB/s
Compatible with Windows (XP or later) Client and Server versions, Linux , Apple OS X (coming soon)

The Fastest Revo X2 Drive has Read speeds of 740MB/s and Write: 720MB/sec just for comparison.
Your system only benefits from these incredible speeds if you use these drives as the boot device, whether that be the RevoDrive X2 or the (insanely overpriced) Z-Drive. Just an FYI :D 
m
l
December 30, 2010 2:01:54 PM

I like things that move fast, including tennis and my Solid State Drives.
m
l
!