Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive randomly changed from NTFS to RAW?

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2010 8:59:52 PM

I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive which I've been working off of with no problems on my laptop for months now. Suddenly a few days ago my computer refused to recognize the drive.

I check with System Management, and it says that the file system is RAW when it's always been NTFS before (to my knowledge; at the very least, my computer is on NTFS and I've been running the hard drive in congruence with it for ages).

To my understanding this is because of some corrupted data, but I have no idea what data that would be, and besides, I could be completely wrong.

What's the best way to fix it without reformatting? I have some incredibly large files on this disk that I can't afford to lose and have no other way to retain.
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 11:55:12 PM

Take the drive to someone who has a Linux distro PC, it should be able to read the files. Get the files off the disk and back them up, then do a low-level format and then re-format in NTFS.
October 24, 2012 6:16:06 AM

What you should do is quite simple.
1. Exert a recovery program to restore your data out.
You need to recover your data firstly in the help of a recovery program. There are countless recovery programs out there. You should keep your eyes open and choose a faithful one, such as Recuva, PC Inspector, iCare Data Recovery Free, and Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Free, etc,
2. Format the drive directly.
Formatting the drive can return it into the normal state and then you can use your drive as you wish.
February 2, 2013 2:35:10 AM

HI...
I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM... I USED THE EASEUS RECOVERY PROGRAM... WHICH TOOK ALMOST 3 DAYS TO RECOVERY.. I COPIED THE NTFS FILES ON TO MY DESK TOP.... BUT THEY DO NOT READ.
MY EXTERNAL HARD DISK IS STILL READING AS RAW... AND THE DATA WHICH I COPIES DOES NOT OPEN.
PLS HELP
!