Another Almost Complete New Build Thread..

imshandon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hello Everyone, I started this build way back in late July of last year...Then along came Hurricane Gustav and priorities changed quickly.Thankfully I am back on track and with the technology advancement in that short time I switched up the plan of a Q9650 and went with the i7.....My dilemma now is in the last part ( or parts if I crossfire ) and the O.S.
I am not a big overclocker...Well to be honest unless there is a place in the bios where I can just click on 10% increase option or play around with the ATI OC option with their drivers then I can not even claim the fame of you crazy clockers and I plan on staying the safe boring minor O.C. button pusher and want a nice stable gaming system...Here is the purchased list thus far:

Case:Thermaltake Tai-Chi (stock cooling system already removed and upgraded...) Two additional 140mm Fans added.
Motherboard:Intel DX58SO-New version with SLI ready ( Not needed since I am an ATI guy ) Possible weak point of system..whats with only 4 dimm slots?
CPU: Intel i7 920
Memory: OCZ PC3 10666 6Gb
Power: Silverstone Strider 750w
Hard drive:W.D 'raptor 300gb
Cooling: Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima
Misc. Case mod includes some UV(green) plastics for radiator mount. a pair of UV Cold Di...total effects are in the LED blues,Greens, and of cours UV.

Now I need advice on the video cards and OS. I am looking at either a single 4870x2 or go for two 4870 in crossfire ( I do like the cooling on the Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 ) the main reasons on the crossfire is cost...I can get a couple of good 4870's for less then a good X2.Should I just get the X2 anyway..is it worth it?

And last the OS......What is the general view between Vista or XP (64)

That's about it...I appreciate your views and opinions ahead of time :bounce:

1. If no OC, why the liquid cooling kit?

2. Vista XP x64 for OS. If running high end CAD then XP x64 providing you have drivers for printer,etc.

3. Have you actually bought the parts already? You say you have. Any chance or returning some?

4. What games and at what resolution/detail?

imshandon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Thank You Shadow for your reply and sorry for the misunderstanding,

1.....I will be O.C'ing but not looking to set any records.

2.... Mostly gaming over imaging,cads music...Vista has got more stable?

3.....Unfortunately all but video card and OS....I guess I should add motherboard to my future first to replace list

4.....I play just about everything, At the moment I am on a Silent Hunter trip but also a lot of Fs2004 and any FPS.

Basically, I am running right now on an old Pentium D that's about three years old.....I was do for a new P.C. I figure I will see a huge difference over this dinosaur...Yet, be able to keep the spending down and leave room for improvement later.

1. Ok, in that case the Intel board may be able to. The Intel boards are stable, but not very good at OCing.

2. Yes, with SP1 Vista is quite stable.

3 & 4. In that case get a ATI 4850/4870 or equivalent nVidia card.

imshandon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Thank You Shadow,It is rare to find forums that one doesn't needs to weed through the sarcasm to get an polite helpful answer.......It's refreshing.