Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Crossfire
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2009 8:12:28 AM

Hi All

Last month I bought myself a new PC and it's equiped with ATi HD 4850x2.
I wander when the time for upgerade comes, this card probably won't be on the market any more.
So if I buy another ATi card, will it be possible to connect it with my current card by CrossFire?
I'm interested in the following possibilities:
1. the same manufacturer - different model.
2. different manufacturer - different model.
The point is that my current card is Spphire but I'm disapointed by the build quality (otherwise it works fine) and my next choise probably won't be Sapphire.

Thank you in advance :) 

More about : crossfire cards

May 14, 2009 12:50:07 PM

Generally you can combine a lower performing card.
Can be from a different manufacturer.
You would probably be better off with a new higher performing card if you can't find a match.

Related resources
May 14, 2009 1:06:46 PM

You mean that I should replace my current card with a better one if I can't find a match?
May 14, 2009 1:12:03 PM

You mean that I should replace my current card with a better one if I can't find a match?
May 14, 2009 1:36:47 PM

Yes, that would be better.
May 14, 2009 1:42:28 PM

you can crossfire 4850x2 with another hd4850 single gpu card. Than your setup will be working in Tri-Fire.
There is no need to buy a new card at the moment since your card will probably outperform anything but crossfire 4870 and 4890.

Cheers
May 14, 2009 1:49:42 PM

I see.
My original point (for which I started this thread) was if I can keep this card working even with a new one. :) 
But I'm not very familiar with these technologies so I accept what you say! ;) 
May 14, 2009 1:53:02 PM

Euphoria_MK said:
you can crossfire 4850x2 with another hd4850 single gpu card. Than your setup will be working in Tri-Fire.
There is no need to buy a new card at the moment since your card will probably outperform anything but crossfire 4870 and 4890.

Cheers

Yeah I like what you say very much! :)  :D 
May 14, 2009 2:18:19 PM

The problem though is that the time I will need a new card the hd4850 won't be on the market, so I'll have to replace my current card (which I'm trying ot avoid). ;) 

Anyway, IF I buy a new card it'll probably be XFX HD4850 xXx Edition, which immediately rises another question.
"Sapphire HD4850x2" and "XFX HD4850 xXx Edition" are both double sized cards
(I don't know the right term, I mean that each one of them takes place for two expansion cards). There is enough space between the two neighbour PCI-E slots to fit the two cards but the fan of the one is kind of bloked by the other, there would be only a narrow gap between the two cards.
will that be a problem for the "blocked" card cooling?
May 14, 2009 2:41:04 PM

Well I know that buying a different single sized HD4850 will fix the problem, but I'm interested what you say about that :)  will it be a problem that will prevent the two card to work with each other?
!