Mike King

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hello,
GT5238E freezes constantly for 30 second intervals. ICH temp 89-91C always. BSOD's x'00008086' regular
occurrence. System has been totally recovered with reformat, all drivers and updates applied except SP3? Is ICH temp causing these problems, and how to correct?

Mike King

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi Hawkeye,
No,
Not the CPU, as stated, this is the I/O Controller Hub chipset(ICH) and its sister the Memory Controller Hub chipset(MCH) on Intel Motherboard DG965MQ(/LV=Gateway).
I've only recently discovered the names of these chipsets myself. They are also referred to genericaly as Northbridge and Southbridge on most motherboards apparently.
My failing Gateway GT5238E, unusable due to constant system freeezes exhibits ICH temps in the 89-92C range, and MCH temperatures that are slightly lower, but still too high, at bootup, which takes quite a long time itself.

This paper from Intel in 2006 explains that failure occurs at 85C, or that the system will begin self preservation actions at this temp that cripple processing.
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/313053.pdf

So, I believe I answered my own questions by finding this nugget of "Erratta" from the Intel corporation.
"The Intel® 82P965 Memory Controller Hub (MCH) and the Intel® 82Q965, 82Q963, 82G965 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub
(GMCH) may contain design defects or errors known as errata, which may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata are available on request."

They essentially admit design flaws (cooling?) may cause performance deviations.
Mine was a long and difficult hunt for the cause of "XP System freezes", which I'm satisfied is now a done deal. I found a reference to "gating at 85C" which I cannot relocate now as I sought to confirm it. The quote above is from the same tecnical paper from Intel which is more than 400 pages. The 85 degree gating reference is there somewhere.
Thank you for your help and reply.
Mike King

Most all chips contain errata and most times is not a concern. Yes, i know the chipset/northbridge/southbridge. I hadn't noticed you specified the ICH. You can purchase chipset cooling fans and get some active cooling on those chips. If you are overclocking at all, resetting to stock speed will also drop the temp. Odd that your southbridge would be overheating, normally it's the northbridge overheating. Something like this may help you out. If you use chipset coolers, just make sure they aren't so high that an expansion card or vid card can't sit over top of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185039

Mike King

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Well,
New lessons learned, I guess!
I found a brand new Intel DG965MQ motherboard for chump change and decided to cure my
"UNUSABLY SLOW & ALWAYS FREEZING XP" in my Gateway GT5238E Media Center PC through the brute force method of a motherboard swap. I also decided I'd go for a bit more juice and got an E6700 duo core to replace the E6300, and since I suspected excess heat/improper cooling as a cause of my problems, I ordered and replaced both cooling fans.

So with all new guts, booted up my "NEW" GT5238E, and voila`, SUPER unusably SLOW FREEZING XP, right back in my face. I thought it has to be bad memory modules or bad hard drive.
I swapped out the 4GB of memory for the the original 1GB PC came with, and still SUPER SLOW.
I ran to the local big-box store and returned with a new WD 500GB SATA to replace the WD 250 SATA, that was stock, and bingo, I have a speedy new PC again.

I tested the hell out of my old hard drive, and all the tests indicated it was fine.
In fact it was junk, apparently.
And additionally,I downloaded Speedfan, and saw an MCH temp of 85C, which I mistakenly believed was a factor in causing my XP FREEZES, along with elevated ICH temp readings as well.
The ICH/MCH temperatures, while appearing to be above normal, were not the the cause of the freeze-ups
in XP MCE.
The old and tired hard drive, despite appearing to pass manufacturer's tests, was in fact causing the
SUPER SLOW and regularly FREEZING XP.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I appreciate your efforts.
Mike King

I should have suspected and changed the hard drive out