Choosing between three HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Since this community is so good at giving recommendations, I figured I'd consult before my purchase. These are the three I'm considering:

$49.99 - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (link)
$59.99 - Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (link)
$64.99 - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (link)

I'm using this drive as storage, scratch disk, page file, and also for some video editing (tutorial videos and FX will be stored here).

The reason for my indecision is price, I want to spend as least as possible, and not concretely knowing the real performance difference between Blue & Black WD drives in my particular usage.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
1TB Caviar Black are good drives more than the 65.00 but you can get them for under 100.00 on sale, make sure you get the larger cache versions for better performance. The larger capacity is worth it if much of the video is HD and to be stored on a permanent basis.

D

Deleted member 217926

The 1TB F3 is faster than all the 1TB Black models except the barely faster FAEX model and it is usually way more expensive. Both have 500GB platter designs. That 640GB Black you listed above is slower as it is based on the older 320GB platter design.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep, just not as well known as the egg".

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Note that you want a storage drive and be sure to back up your data if you're using the faster, 7200 drives, that will run hotter and have more power consumption than slower 5400rpm drives. Just my opinion, though.

I think the 5400rpm drives are good just for reduced heat and power although Samsung drives are very good at efficient power/temps so I also agree with the other posters to choose Samsung over the WD Blacks. Easy choice, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.