Best aftermarket CPU cooler for AMD phenom 955 x4

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hello everyone on Tom's :D

I have decided that I want to buy an aftermarket cooler for my CPU and want to attempt to acheive an 3.9ghz - 4.0ghz overclock. Air cooling is the only option really as my budget does not extend so far as to allow me to water cool. I have around £35 pounds maximum to spend. So far I have looked at the Titan TTC-NK85TZ/CS2(RB) Fenrir EVO CPU Cooler. http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans%2C+Heatsinks%2C+Coolers/CPU+Coolers/Titan+TTC-NK85TZ%2FCS2%28RB%29+Fenrir+EVO+CPU+Cooler+?productId=41312 This cooler loooks good to me but I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions? Also, would the above cooler fit in my motherboard ok? (It's in my sig) I already know that It will fit the case as I saw in a reaviews somewhere that it does, also, do you think that I will be able to achive my above overclocking that I am aiming for. I know that they should'nt buyt the looks are important to me as I have a side pannel on my desk, but the noise level of the cooler does not really matter to me. thanks for everyones advice and opinions, Adam :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Frostytech is an excellent cooler review site.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

That particular page will list the top-performing coolers for both Intel and AMD platforms. Unfortunately, they don't rate at all based on price/performance ratio, only performance. But, if you look-up their most recently reviewed HS/Fan, you can see it compared to every HS/Fan they've ever tested. Simply search the chart for any models you'd like to compare.

Oh, and your sig only says your board is a UD3H, which is simply a variant of a base model. I'll take a wild guess it's an MA785GT-UD3H, MA790GPT-UD3H, or MA890GPA-UD3H... Am I right? Not that it really matters, much.

As for fitment, many motherboards have issues with the fan of most tower coolers clearing tall RAM modules which have cooling fins, like G.Skill Ripjaws or Pi modules, or OCZ's Reaper HPC modules when they're installed in DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 slots. Moving these modules to slots 3 & 4 shouldn't cause issue, though.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I use the Zalman CNPS10X Performa with 2 Thermaltake 120mm Smart Blue LED fans (97.5 CFM each) keeps my 955BE at a nice 26-29c Idle ( been as low as 21c though lol) and 33-39c Load, very nice cooler. An atm it is $40 at newegg. :D