Can a PCI SATA controller-card support 3Gb/s data transfer rate?

G

(My only PCIe-slot is used for graphics, so;) Can a PCI-slot SATA controller-card support 3Gb/s data transfer-rate?; if so, how many SATA-ports per PCI-slot @ that speed, max? Or, if 1.5Gb/s is the highest throughput a PCI-slot can handle, again, what's the max # of SATA-ports one can handle?
In any case, any recommendations for specific cards? (System-specs follow)

thank you, very much, for any help,
w_th
tech_1@sbcglobal.net

HP Pavilion Media Center m7750n
Vista Home Premium SP2
MB: Asus A8M2N-LA (HP/Compaq name: NodusM3-GL8E);
Chipset: GeForce 6150 LE; FSB: 2000MT/s
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.6GHz (Socket: AM2)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz

G

My main question is really basic: simply, are PCI-slots engineered to be able to handle a 3Gb/s data transfer-rate; or, put another way, what's the max (realistic) throughput a PCI-slot can be expected to handle.

thanks for your reply, Shaun O;
As to the ad-summaries for PCI-slot SATA controller-cards themselves, so far, one states, 'capable of supporting UP TO 3Gb/s' (thus not being clear that it actually does run at that speed), & the rest, if speed is mentioned at all, state that they run at 1.5Gb/s.
Nope, no mini-PCIe-slot, only: 1 PCI Express x16 (added EVGA graphics) & 3 PCI, one of which has a TV-tuner card, so 2 PCI-slots available (the modem-card in 1 of the 2 isn't used).

any help very much appreciated,
w_th
tech_1@sbcglobal.net

HP Pavilion Media Center m7750n
Vista Home Premium SP2
MB: Asus A8M2N-LA (HP/Compaq name: NodusM3-GL8E);
Chipset: GeForce 6150 LE; FSB: 2000MT/s
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.6GHz (Socket: AM2)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
No, a the PCI bus can manage roughly 1Gbps and that's shared between everything on that bus (so your TV tuner and modem will use some of that bandwidth).
So really it will struggle to cope with even one SATA-I device.

Your motherboard has 4 SATA-I ports, so I'd stick with them or replace the motherboard.

thermidor

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Its 3gb not 3 GB, we're talking gigabits not Gigabytes. The PCI SATA card won't support modes above SATA 150, that is your PCI sata card can't support more than 1.5gb/s (that's 150MB/s read max). It'll always limit your computer that way.

TRENDING THREADS