window titles and ok, cancel buttons in different language

I just bought a brand new pc with XP installed but all of
my windows Title bars and OK,Cancel etc buttons are in
Spanish although the system is in English. Has anyone got
a clue of how to change these so my whole system is in
English as it should be.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:54:16 -0700, mr t wrote:

> I just bought a brand new pc with XP installed but all of
> my windows Title bars and OK,Cancel etc buttons are in
> Spanish although the system is in English. Has anyone got
> a clue of how to change these so my whole system is in
> English as it should be.

Locate the file mfc42loc.dll and, if found, check its properties.

This file tells mfc42.dll what language to use in some dialog and menu
boxes. Installing a program that comes in multiple languages (or installing
an update that is not the same language as the operating system) will
occasionally drop a copy of this file that does not match the users
language settings. Renaming or deleting the file allows Windows to use the
preferred language settings instead of the language noted by the file.

NOTE: My XP installation is over 2 years old and I do not have any copies
of the mfc42loc.dll file on my system. Do NOT rename or move the mfc42.dll
file. That is a normal system file and should be left alone.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Ask your vendor. Do not buy computers with preinstalled OS.