Seagate vs Western Digital?

wolf0x

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I plan on buying a new external hard drive to put various files on as my current one is full and there is a lot of files on my main hard drive to me transferred over. The two drives I have found are basically the same price but seeing as this is going to have a backup of all my files I want the most reliable. So which should I get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002E7HEVU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1291319495&sr=1-1

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2763332/art/seagate/expansion-1-tb-usb-2-0-ex.html

Zterling

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
To me Western Digital has always been a more reliable manufacturer for buying hard drives, but when you look at the specs, there is only a difference of a few tenths of a lb in weight. The Western Digital has a 7200rpm and the Seagate has a 5400rpm. Although because I'm new as well, I'd wait for somebody with more knowledge to make a total thought out decision. Best of luck! =)

wolf0x

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

Thanks for the reply, hopefully some one else will reply

Rotational speed really does not matter here. Drive i/o is limited by the USB 2.0 interface.

Nonscientific, personal preference - WD. I own three WD external drives - 750 GB, 1.5 TB, and 2 TB. I have three desktop systems running using a total of 9 WD internal drives.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Western Digital is my drive of choice also - for mere preference reasons. Looking at those two, I wouldn't mind getting either of them. I actually don't see the rotation speed of the WD listed, but the seagate says it is a 7200 rpm drive, so if what zterling says about the speed of the WD is correct, they are equal in that respect. Like jsc said, the rpm rating of the drive won't make a speed difference over usb2, but a slower spinning drive may run cooler. Other than that, I would just choose based on price and warranty.