What is max OC on Gefore gts 250 with 500w psu

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I have a EVGA Geforce gts 250 display card and when ever i Over Clock the clock core speed (not the shaders or anything else) to about 750Mhz the nvlddmkm driver stops responding and soon recovers. What should the max OC be on this card if its powerd with a 500 watt corsair PSU with 36amp 12v rails?
So what is about the average max OC for the clock core only on a card and power supply like this?

Solution
The GTS 250 will not really yield much extra performance. Basically whatever it will run stable at is its max if the drivers stop responding all the time then thats it. I had an old EVGA 9800 GT that if the core was overclocked more then 50 mHz it would get real buggy and would kill the driver every time, but it didnt matter since performance was maybe a 2 FPS gain if I was lucky and it just caused more problems then it was worth.

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Ok so the psu should allow plenty of overclocking room on this card (It is also brand new so age hasn't got to it just yet). Overheating isn't my problem though. It remains at 67c to 70c being the highest when overclocked. Ive tried to get it to 780Mhz and its instant driver crash. Overclocking to 750Mhz works fine on desktop but when in a game that renders 3D graphics thats when it messes up. The computer doesn't crash or die and when ever im listening to music when this happens It continues to play music as if nothing wrong has happend, Its just the display driver that stops responding and sometimes doesn't recover.

I should be able to Overclock this card to 780MHz without a problem (Clock Core Only with everything else at stock). Im thinking that the single 6-pin connector isn't enough power flow to keep the card stable or perhaps the EVGA drivers just weren't cut for this kind of use?
Im going to try out the Nivida drivers for this card and see if there is any diffrence and if there isn't then It could be unstable power flow through the single 6-pin connector.

The GTS 250 will not really yield much extra performance. Basically whatever it will run stable at is its max if the drivers stop responding all the time then thats it. I had an old EVGA 9800 GT that if the core was overclocked more then 50 mHz it would get real buggy and would kill the driver every time, but it didnt matter since performance was maybe a 2 FPS gain if I was lucky and it just caused more problems then it was worth.

Solution

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

When playing games at stock settings I will have at 30 - 40 fps but OCed at 740Mhz I get a average fps of 60+ and games without fps stops I will get 70 - 80+ average in less graphical instense zones. There is a very high yeild performance in fps in World of Warcraft (set to ultra settings) and in other games such as Call of Duty black opps and BBC2 (These games just set to high). There is obvious increase in performance when brought up from stock clock speeds.
I can play most other games maxed but at a cost of low frames unless OCed higher which will greatly improve the frame by far, but can't seem to do this. I guess 740Mhz would be the max for it then =[

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
One more thing, if the driver stops responding does that mean im trying to draw more power from my power supply then it can offer?
Ive used a power conumption calculator to estimate how much my computer draws alone and it reaches roughly around 160 watts of power for all systems and a adding the new display card it draws about 360 watts. I should have plenty of enough power to blow on overclocking if thats the case XD