Using 4 pin instead of 8 pin

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I recently put together a new pc with the MA770T-UD3P and it requires and 8 pin power connector, but my psu only has a 4 pin. Im using the 4 pin right now and it seems to be working fine, no crashes or anything. But im just wondering if I could run into troubles down the road, like the psu or mobo burning out. Has anybody done this before and did you run into any issues?

Solution
Both the 4 pin and 8 pin connector serve the same purpose, provide 12v current to the CPU specifically. 8 pin does not provide greater than 12v power, just a better grounded source. You did not state which CPU the 12v source is powering. A power hungry OC'ed quad would be better served with an 8 pin connection. Otherwise, 4 pin is fine.
Both the 4 pin and 8 pin connector serve the same purpose, provide 12v current to the CPU specifically. 8 pin does not provide greater than 12v power, just a better grounded source. You did not state which CPU the 12v source is powering. A power hungry OC'ed quad would be better served with an 8 pin connection. Otherwise, 4 pin is fine.

Solution

I was going to suggest a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter if you are concerned. A bit expensive, but will not cause any problem and will work fine. I have used them as well as 6 pin to eight pin 12v video card adapters.

There's no need for a 4 pin -> adapter. It will not change the amount of current that you can draw from your PSU. As you look toward the edge of the motherboard with the CPU power connector, the yellow wires will go toward the outside edge of the motherboard. Plug the 4 pin connector into the right side of the MB 8 pin socket.

TRENDING THREADS