Sign in with
Your question

MSI Overclocking Genie

Last response: in Overclocking
January 26, 2011 12:39:11 AM

I have the MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 motherboard, which features "overclock genie". Apparently all you have to do is press a button located on the bottom of the motherboard, and your CPU and RAM are automatically overclocked. I've got a Core i7 930 @ stock speeds (2.8 GHz) I have no experience in overclocking. I've got an aftermarket heatsink (ZALMAN CNPS9900) and a high-airflow case (HAF 932) which should leave some overclocking headroom. If I press the button, I'm afraid my PC will be damaged or destroyed by the overclocking process.

Overclocking is extremely risky and can very easily damage or destroy your components if not done carefully and correctly. I have not overclocked anything before, and I am afraid I might screw something up if I do.

Should I, or should I not press the OC genie button? How far will it OC my CPU and RAM to? I'm not trying to reach 4.0 GHz, maybe 3.4 or 3.6 might be good.

My CPU idle temperatures are around +/- 30 *C idle, and 40-something under gaming load.

Message edited by ambam on 01-24-2011 at 03:26:20 PM

If I press the button, will my computer instantly be permanently ruined?

More about : msi overclocking genie

a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 8:42:40 AM

if uwant overclock safely this way good for you , Oc genie is auto overclok this recomendation from MSI
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
a c 292 V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 12:10:29 PM

ambam said:
I have the MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 motherboard, which features "overclock genie". Apparently all you have to do is press a button located on the bottom of the motherboard, and your CPU and RAM are automatically overclocked. I've got a Core i7 930 @ stock speeds (2.8 GHz) I have no experience in overclocking. I've got an aftermarket heatsink (ZALMAN CNPS9900) and a high-airflow case (HAF 932) which should leave some overclocking headroom. If I press the button, I'm afraid my PC will be damaged or destroyed by the overclocking process.

Overclocking is extremely risky and can very easily damage or destroy your components if not done carefully and correctly. I have not overclocked anything before, and I am afraid I might screw something up if I do.

Should I, or should I not press the OC genie button? How far will it OC my CPU and RAM to? I'm not trying to reach 4.0 GHz, maybe 3.4 or 3.6 might be good.

My CPU idle temperatures are around +/- 30 *C idle, and 40-something under gaming load.

Message edited by ambam on 01-24-2011 at 03:26:20 PM

If I press the button, will my computer instantly be permanently ruined?

That button works pretty well, but add more voltage that your rig really need for be stable. I suggest you take a trip on Google and read articles about overclocking, its can damage your rig if you DON'T do it in the proper way. With good practices and good settings you can get a better overclock that using the OC Genie button.
Related resources
January 27, 2011 1:05:10 AM

saint19 said:
That button works pretty well, but add more voltage that your rig really need for be stable. I suggest you take a trip on Google and read articles about overclocking, its can damage your rig if you DON'T do it in the proper way. With good practices and good settings you can get a better overclock that using the OC Genie button.

Does it overclock your memory as well?

I can't reach 4 GHz with my cooler, how far does OC genie go, based on your system cooling?
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
a c 292 V Motherboard
January 27, 2011 2:10:15 AM

ambam said:
Does it overclock your memory as well?

I can't reach 4 GHz with my cooler, how far does OC genie go, based on your system cooling?

The overclock depends of your temp, so, better cooler, better temps, higher overclock.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2011 2:13:52 AM

Oc genie just OC CPU up to 10~15%
January 28, 2011 12:28:37 AM

henydiah said:
Oc genie just OC CPU up to 10~15%

I would imagine it voids your CPU, Memory, and motherboard warranties the instant you press it.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 12:40:35 AM

in my country very easy warranty ! because i bought it from Shop near in my home not in internet .. ha ha problem with you.. overclock is own risk !
January 30, 2011 2:20:07 AM

It worked, my CPU speed went up to 3.4 GHz, but I set all the settings to default because my temps were a little too high. My CPU was idling at +/- 50 *C at 3.4 GHz. I was afraid it would go up to 70 and be damaged if I tried running a game.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2011 3:31:52 PM

If wooried about warranty don't overclock, and want more cold cpu, get good cooler cpu, if your overclock right it' safely for hardware , overheat is enemy hardware
January 31, 2011 9:01:21 PM

henydiah said:
If wooried about warranty don't overclock, and want more cold cpu, get good cooler cpu, if your overclock right it' safely for hardware , overheat is enemy hardware

45-50 *C idle at 3.4 GHz is too hot. I disabled OC genie and reset my CPU settings to default.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2011 11:38:44 PM

good ! ..reset to default .it's good idea ..you have bad cooler setting.. 3.4Ghz idle 40-50C maximum your CPu is 73*C , uhmm ..problem your cooler ! fix it
i
!