ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I have the MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 motherboard, which features "overclock genie". Apparently all you have to do is press a button located on the bottom of the motherboard, and your CPU and RAM are automatically overclocked. I've got a Core i7 930 @ stock speeds (2.8 GHz) I have no experience in overclocking. I've got an aftermarket heatsink (ZALMAN CNPS9900) and a high-airflow case (HAF 932) which should leave some overclocking headroom. If I press the button, I'm afraid my PC will be damaged or destroyed by the overclocking process.

Overclocking is extremely risky and can very easily damage or destroy your components if not done carefully and correctly. I have not overclocked anything before, and I am afraid I might screw something up if I do.

Should I, or should I not press the OC genie button? How far will it OC my CPU and RAM to? I'm not trying to reach 4.0 GHz, maybe 3.4 or 3.6 might be good.

My CPU idle temperatures are around +/- 30 *C idle, and 40-something under gaming load.

Message edited by ambam on 01-24-2011 at 03:26:20 PM

If I press the button, will my computer instantly be permanently ruined?

That button works pretty well, but add more voltage that your rig really need for be stable. I suggest you take a trip on Google and read articles about overclocking, its can damage your rig if you DON'T do it in the proper way. With good practices and good settings you can get a better overclock that using the OC Genie button.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Does it overclock your memory as well?

I can't reach 4 GHz with my cooler, how far does OC genie go, based on your system cooling?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
It worked, my CPU speed went up to 3.4 GHz, but I set all the settings to default because my temps were a little too high. My CPU was idling at +/- 50 *C at 3.4 GHz. I was afraid it would go up to 70 and be damaged if I tried running a game.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

45-50 *C idle at 3.4 GHz is too hot. I disabled OC genie and reset my CPU settings to default.