Sign in with
Your question

Does SSD with RAID faster than just SSD with no RAID ???

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2010 2:10:35 PM

Would I be better for two smaller sized SSD's in RAID ??

Or a larger single SSD ????

I want fastest speed possible to load up and start up
December 7, 2010 3:42:20 PM

anyone ?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 7, 2010 9:48:11 PM

Of course a RAID 0 setup is faster. But who can tell? And is it worth the drawbacks?

There are plenty of 'wd green vs intel ssd' loading windows from cold boot youtube videos. But I've never seen a single ssd vs raid startup comparison. I'm willing to bet the difference is less than 3 seconds.

The fact is the iops available with your raptor are in the neighbourhood of 300 but the iops available with your sandforce or intel based ssd is around 40,000 (they say 50k but from what I've read they rarely reach that). More than 100 times faster. Seek times from 3.5ms to 0.1 ms. 35 times faster (or more). imho a single, high quality, ssd will perform well enough that it is no longer the slowest component in most situations. Therefore, RAID 0 is no longer necessary for the enthusiast to enjoy super fast computing.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2010 11:02:12 PM

Thanks for great reply
m
l
December 10, 2010 2:30:40 PM

thanks
m
l
December 11, 2010 2:07:32 AM

Conclusion: Not worth it.

My brother got more issues with his raid than anything else on his computer. I wish that article existed earlier :( 
m
l
December 11, 2010 8:07:03 AM

raid0 is quite a bit faster, but more expensive and cumbersome.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/cor...

I might be getting an ssd setup soon and I'll definately be going for raid0 for me there's nothing quite like having the fastest. BTW many high end SSDs have internal raid0. For example the revodrive is just a board with multiple SSDs running in raid0(revodrive X2 is 4 sanforce controllers and the revodrive is 2) so yes it's definately quite a lot faster.
m
l
December 11, 2010 1:54:03 PM

So then if drive has RAID 0 in it... no sense for Raid 0 seperate?
m
l
December 11, 2010 2:06:37 PM

Like what test?
m
l
December 11, 2010 2:14:51 PM

I was asking is there a program I can use to benchmark my system now.. so i can compare the upgrade?

What would I use ?
How would I benchmark ?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 12, 2010 12:29:34 AM

Wow Mfusick. Nice chart! Okay, I exaggerated the importance of raid when I said the boot time would be within 3 seconds. Turns out the corsair f40 (sandforce) scales well and can save you 6 seconds.

So, that quantifies the Raiding choice a little. I'm still happy with one. Drives are like women. Try and stack two or more and you better know what you're doing.
m
l
December 12, 2010 11:19:06 AM

adampower said:
Wow Mfusick. Nice chart! Okay, I exaggerated the importance of raid when I said the boot time would be within 3 seconds. Turns out the corsair f40 (sandforce) scales well and can save you 6 seconds.

So, that quantifies the Raiding choice a little. I'm still happy with one. Drives are like women. Try and stack two or more and you better know what you're doing.

Been there done that.
Had two show up at my door step at the same time..... :o 
m
l
December 12, 2010 3:33:28 PM

Quote:
HD Tach RW v3.0.4.0 by Simpli Software

ATTO Disk benchmark v2.02 and v2.34

CrystalDiskMark v2.2

PCMark05 by Futurmark Corporation

Lavalys EVEREST Ultimate Edition

Thanks