Sign in with
Your question

Is the i7 920 Stock Cooler good?

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2009 3:47:53 PM

I'm not planing on overclocking, I just want a cool CPU that won't over heat when gaming. Im planning on installing a 120nm case cooler if that helps.

More about : 920 stock cooler good

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2009 4:02:20 PM

lol so true, no OCing the I7 is like not driving a 911 after you brought it.

but if you dont want to OC and is at stock voltages, and have a nice case with good airflow, it should work.
July 27, 2009 4:05:32 PM

Quote:
No overclocking? Then why did you buy the I7?

I didn't buy it yet, what I should have said was I don't on plan on overclocking for now.

That's why Im planning on getting this CPU because in a while when programs need more processing power than what it currently offers, I can just juice it up a bit.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2009 5:20:13 PM

has that isue turned up at i7s with LGA 1366?? I haven not heard of it so I'm wondering how are those affecting it?

July 27, 2009 5:56:12 PM

does that kit work with all push-pin heatsinks for LGA1366?

and @OP, a 120nm cooler? that would have really poor airflow and be extremely loud.
July 27, 2009 6:28:20 PM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
That's why Im planning on getting this CPU because in a while when programs need more processing power than what it currently offers, I can just juice it up a bit.

Don't even think about "juicing up" that CPU on the factory cooler. It is barely adequate at stock speeds just from i7 heat generation. One of the best investments you can make is an aftermarket cooler. A cool CPU is a long life healthy CPU.
July 27, 2009 6:49:16 PM

The factory coolers are crud even if you are not overclocking. I would suggest getting a Xigmatek Dark Knight, or a similar rifle cooler.
July 27, 2009 8:03:32 PM

10tacle said:
Don't even think about "juicing up" that CPU on the factory cooler. It is barely adequate at stock speeds just from i7 heat generation. One of the best investments you can make is an aftermarket cooler. A cool CPU is a long life healthy CPU.

Alright, can anyone recommend an after market cooler, they're so many of them.
July 27, 2009 8:10:47 PM

don't listen to them, you will get a D0 processor, and they can even overclock well with the stock cooler, some people get 3.8GHz on the stock cooler with the i7 920 D0 and stay below 80C.
July 27, 2009 8:31:13 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
don't listen to them, you will get a D0 processor, and they can even overclock well with the stock cooler, some people get 3.8GHz on the stock cooler with the i7 920 D0 and stay below 80C.

You told us! LOL!
Now who wants 80c temps from the CPU floating around their case? Not me! You must enjoy blue screens, pixalization, and thermal failures.
The advantages of an aftermarket CPU cooler are many, most importantly the idle and max temps are lower than the crappy oem cooler, the direction for which the hot cpu air is getting blown. The crappy oem cpu cooler blows the air down onto the motherboard, screwing up circulation in your computer case, where the aftermarket coolers, like the Xigmatek Dark Knight, blows out the back of the case.
July 27, 2009 8:39:09 PM

80C is pretty normal for the i7, even D0's.

and you'll only reach that kind of temp in prime95 or something like it.
July 27, 2009 8:46:30 PM

80c is too high! That scares me, I don't give a crud what Intel says the max is. 80c of hot air just sitting around on the system board is bad news. @ 3.8ghz I never hit higher than 71c with the Xigmatech Dark Knight in an Antec 900 case. I idle around 27-30c. It really is best to get that hot air away from your components. Chipsets, RAM and video cards absolutely despise heat, the oem heatsink and fan are really a hindrance for good circulation.
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2009 9:14:06 PM

Believe me, the i7 is happy all day long at 80C. I've (accidentally) had mine up to 93 without issues. Whether it scares you or not is irrelevant. If you have good cooling, the air won't be anywhere near the temperature of the cores, so you don't have to worry about the board either. That having been said, cooler is always better, so if you are sitting at 80C on the stock cooler, and can afford a replacement, it's probably worth getting.
July 28, 2009 1:55:52 AM

ThatConfusedMofo said:
Alright, can anyone recommend an after market cooler, they're so many of them.

Depends on how much you want to spend. My cooler, the Zalman 9700LED for an aggressively overclocked E8400, is available with a free clip kit for the i7. Read some of the NewEgg reviews from i7 owners. Pay attention to their temps. And 80C temps are not "normal" for an i7 (or any CPU for that matter). Now if you like to increase CPU degradation, by all means, it's your money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's another option for a little more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Make sure to get good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 as well. And read the instructions on application. It's very important to best cooling performance!

Read more about the stock cooler from Anandtech's buyer's guide here:

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3610&p=7
November 26, 2009 11:42:56 PM

Hmm... I've just got a i7 920 recently, it idles at 40-50deg C at stock speeds, one of the cores went up to 93 when I ran prime95 for like 5 mins.. is this a concern? I have an antec 902 case but atm its like 30deg in my house so I guess thats why..

Should I get an aftermarket cooler?
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2009 1:21:56 AM

Yes, 93'C is WAY too high. You shouldn't let it go over 80'C under Prime95, and keep it under the 70's for regular load.
November 27, 2009 2:31:35 AM

I initially said I wasn't going to OC my 920 and then did some reading. I ended up choosing the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 for my CPU heatsink/fan(s). I believe this is a smart move so when I do decide to OC, I should be set for cooling.

I also purchased 2 optional fans for my case, side and front, to compliment the included rear and top fans. The way I look at it, I'd rather have too much cooling than not enough. All this and I'm not even a gamer :) 
November 27, 2009 10:38:57 AM

A D0 17-920 running stock HSF at Stock voltages will be fine, with no other fans in the case. If it dies under these circumstances then you are liable for a warranty / RMA replacement.

The item in law would be classified as 'Not suitable for the purpose intended'
November 27, 2009 11:02:18 AM

yeah true. I've just ordered a scythe mugen 2 for it, since I was hoping to OC to about 3.2 or 3.4... Will have to see how it goes on stock speeds first I think haha - I'll post up results once I get them.
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2009 2:56:13 PM

The Mugen2 w/ i7 at stock keeps it around 43'C idle/68'C load around a room temp of 80'F, 38'C/65'C around a room temp of 75'F, and 37'C/59'C around a room temp of 70'F

Btw, the cooler is HUGE so make sure you have room...
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2009 3:43:40 PM

Wow...people those are high temps. However if a company like Intel (one of the most major manufacturers of chips world wide) offers a cooler for thier own chip, believe me, they know what they are doing and they know a lot better then you, they made the chip after all. Yes the cooler the better, but on stock speeds, the stock cooler will satisfy the CPU. If Intel knew their cooler was crappy, they wouldn't offer it. However, I am using a Cooler Master V8, HAF 932, and AS5 paste and I get 28*C at idle, depending on what ambient temperature is my house and during a prime 95 stress test, i never got above 55-60*C (considering my V8 was running on low power and my case fans were turned up about mid way)
-Oh and for the people who said whats the point in buying an Intel i7 if you won't overclock...well because when paired with a good mobo and ram, even on stock it owns most other processors except for the the higher i7's :) . I only overclock mine if i need to do something very CPU hungry and fast, other then that i keep on stock which is the way to go if you wan't your i7 to last a long healthy life.
November 28, 2009 9:38:53 AM

Hmm so yeah my update so far is that I have had to cancel the order because I read that its not compatible with my mobo - p6td deluxe.. some kind of backplate issues? Anyone know what kind of high range cooler fits on this board?

And my case is an antec 902 so I dont think it should have any problems fitting
!