Fans come on , computer won't boot

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I have an Emachine T6216 with XP3.It has been working fine,haven't added any new software or hardware.Had it on a while today and shut it down,went back later to reboot and it booted up fine and while it was loading my programs,all of a sudden my monitor went funny,the desktop wasn't pixilated but all wavy sort of. I had to shut it down with the power button.When I tried to start it up again the only thing that came on were the fans.The fan over the cpu seems to be running very fast and loud,there is no beeping but nothing else happens,the monitor says "no signal".I hooked up another monitor to the computer and that didn't work either.I went inside and took the ram out and put it back ,checked all the connections.
Could it be my motherboard is pooched? I hope I have given enough info for an answer.
Thanks
phoenix16

Solution
Most likely either MB or the CPU. Does this have a graphics card or built-in? Hard to tell without parts to swap out either.

The CPU fan running fast isn't likely a clue, as it likely always powered up fully then rev'd down quickly. Since won't POST it never gets that signal.

Standard procedure is to:
Clear the CMOS - chk manual for procedure.
Disconnect all cables from all drives and test.
Pull RAM and try with one module at a time in slot 1. Then try 1 in what might be slot 3, the 1st slot of second pair of slots.

You mention another monitor - another computer? If so, can you try vid card in it?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Most likely either MB or the CPU. Does this have a graphics card or built-in? Hard to tell without parts to swap out either.

The CPU fan running fast isn't likely a clue, as it likely always powered up fully then rev'd down quickly. Since won't POST it never gets that signal.

Standard procedure is to:
Clear the CMOS - chk manual for procedure.
Disconnect all cables from all drives and test.
Pull RAM and try with one module at a time in slot 1. Then try 1 in what might be slot 3, the 1st slot of second pair of slots.

You mention another monitor - another computer? If so, can you try vid card in it?

Solution

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006

The video card is built in,I did pull the battery,but I see from different Forums there is some that say to pull it for 30 min. and others that say for 1 hour or more.I took it out for the 30 min. and didn't make any difference so I didn't know if maybe I didn't leave it long enough.
I have an extra monitor but not extra tower. I will try to pull the ram,I did take it out and set it back in,I have an extra slot so I will try that one.I will disconnect the drives one at a time and see what happens.
Thanks so much

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Well I id everything you suggested Mongox but to no avail.I guess I have to take it into the shop.They will have testers I don't have.Don't know what will be cheaper,replacing the MB (while paying $60.00 an hour labor costs) or buying a new computer...lol

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
LOL, according to the eMachine site, you can buy this computer for .99 cents or $99, take your pick.
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6216

Here's the downloads for it:
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T%20Series&model=T6216

Not sure about the battery. At this point, pull it (and unplug system power cord) and leave it overnight. I can't find anything on resetting BIOS in the manual - like most pre-built systems there's almost no mention of the BIOS in it.

Is eMachine still in business? If so, try the phone support.

Before giving up, I'd pull all the drive cables at once. Even carefully mark the front case wiring and pull everything but power switch if you can. You really want to remove all complications that might be an issue. Take it down to PSU, motherboard power, cpu fan and RAM.

Good luck.

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks I have been to that website a few times in the last 3 years.They tell me now that since the computer isn't covered by a warranty anymore it will cost me $2.95 a minute to talk to them.No thank you!!I will probably go get a new computer if your next suggestions don't work.Thanks again.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
ok, let me know. (I'm having to answer since the darned forum has all my threads reset!) So now some of the folks I'm helping will think I died, sigh... Oddly enough, I did nearly have to visit the bloody ER yesterday - better now, I think, so just have to see cardiologist on Monday! lol

Oh and the fact that someone will actually talk to you live, at any price, is unusual. I don't blame them for charging so much.

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Did what you last suggested and it still won't boot up. I will go pay my $20.00 for an estimate and then decide what I need to do .I am a senior on a limited income so sitting on the phone at $2.95 a min I can't afford.Thanks for all your help,I will let you know what the shop tells me,and I hope you are well.
Phoenix16

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Went and paid my 20 dollars and found out it was the MB. I bought a new computer, and will be picking up windows 7 at my local computer store. I ordered months back when the half price sale was on. Can't wait...lol

Thanks again for all the help.