Will this PSU power a 9800GT?

Guys I will be buying a 9800GT around 15th august.
Just wanted to know whether this PSU will be able to run it or not?

Gigabyte superb 460w.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/PowerSupply/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Power+Supply&ProductID=2796&ProductName=Superb%20460

this one is locally available and I m on a budget.
Give your views.

BTW my specs are
CPU:E7300 at 3Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L
PSU:Mora 400w 18 amps on 12v rail.
Sony DRU810A DvD Writer
WD 250GB + Seagate 40GB
Etc etc.......
19 answers Last reply
More about will power 9800gt
  1. you will be good to go
  2. Is this PSU reliable?
  3. i highly doubt gigabyte builds it, they most likely outsource it to Chinese company (like most well known manufactures).

    Gigabyte is a very reliable brand though so I would think the PSU has to be at least reliable but I have no experience with it.
  4. ct1615 said:
    i highly doubt gigabyte builds it, they most likely outsource it to Chinese company (like most well known manufactures).

    Gigabyte is a very reliable brand though so I would think the PSU has to be at least reliable but I have no experience with it.


    That PSU is built by FSP, so it should be okay but not great.
  5. I have a 400w FSP PSU running my 2.6Ghz P4 (HTPC) still going strong after 5yrs.
  6. So what do you guys think?
    Should I buy it?
    I mean is it good enough to invest money.
  7. Yes it should be okay..but is it the only PSU you can choose from?
  8. I have the choice of CX400 but I wanna make it cheap.
  9. There are some local brands also having good quality But the gigabyte was best among them.

    One more simple question:
    HD 4770 vs 9800GT.
    Which one is better?
  10. 4770 is better
  11. A 9800 Gt needs 26 Amps minimum when at full power/ Playing games.
    That leaves only four amps for the rest of the other devices in the pc.

    I can tell you as soon as you go to play a game, your computer will lock up, reset, or the 9800 GT will bomb out.

    Find a good PSU with a Higher Amp on the twelve volt rails.
  12. Shaun o said:
    A 9800 Gt needs 26 Amps minimum when at full power/ Playing games.
    That leaves only four amps for the rest of the other devices in the pc.

    I can tell you as soon as you go to play a game, your computer will lock up, reset, or the 9800 GT will bomb out.

    Find a good PSU with a Higher Amp on the twelve volt rails.

    The 26A recommendation is for the entire system, the card itself is well under 10A.
  13. Now Shaun scared me a bit.
    I don't want the card to bomb out, so pls console me that the psu will be fine pls.
  14. Bluescreendeath said:
    4770 is better



    But I saw in a youtube video that 9800GT is the winner.
    Okay I will agree with you, But a 30$ price difference is there between the two(In the market where i will be buying the card).

    Is 4770 worth that much of price increase?
  15. shubham1401 said:
    Now Shaun scared me a bit.
    I don't want the card to bomb out, so pls console me that the psu will be fine pls.

    Read my post above.

    The PSU will be fine, although I'd spend the extra for the Corsair. The money saved due to better efficiency will make it cheaper in the long run.
  16. Okay I will first opt for a corsair 400cx.
  17. Hey just one more question before I get the card.
    WIll this card fit in my case?
    The case dimensions are:19.1 X 8.5 X 17.8(inches) or 48.5 X 21.5 X 45 cm.
  18. For the 4770, it is equivalent to a quieter and cooler version of the 4850. The 9800GT is just about equal with the 4850. Depending on the what resolution you want to play in and what game you want to play (some games are picky with ATI and Nvidia), I would recommend the 4770 for 1650 x 1050 or lower, it will dominate the 9800GT there, but any larger resolutions and I think the 9800GT will win. I'm an ATI boy, but I won't be biased, but my girlfriend's 9800GT can play all the games she wants maxed out (mostly mmorpgs and Left 4 Dead) on 1680 x 1050 resolution. A 4770 can do the same, but will have a better cooling solution and consume less power, but only because it is a recently released card. It will also sport GDDR5 instead of on GDDR3, but other than that, both cards are almost equal in most games.
  19. 4850 >/~ 4770 > 4830

    4830 = 9800GT

    4850 > 9800GT
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Western Digital Gigabyte Power Components