Sign in with
Your question

Format HD and re-install OS laptop

Last response: in Windows XP
September 23, 2011 12:17:06 PM

Hi

I have a compaq presario r3000 bought second-hand recently. I want to avoid 'unwanted software' that might already be installed on the laptop by formatting the hard drive and re-installing Win XP from disk. Never done a format and re-installation before. Please can I have a 'step-by-step' guide from someone please? jhkkata

More about : format install laptop

a b D Laptop
September 23, 2011 2:05:20 PM

jhkkata said:
Hi

I have a compaq presario r3000 bought second-hand recently. I want to avoid 'unwanted software' that might already be installed on the laptop by formatting the hard drive and re-installing Win XP from disk. Never done a format and re-installation before. Please can I have a 'step-by-step' guide from someone please? jhkkata

Hook up any peripherals you are going to use. Insert the Windows CD and Boot. Follow the on screen prompts to format & install.
September 23, 2011 8:32:50 PM

Thank you ksiemb. Does this work if windows XP is already installed or do I have to take steps to remove it first?
November 11, 2011 9:23:37 PM

jhkkata said:
Hi

Go into the bios and change the boot order so the cddrive is the first to boot.Don't forget to save it to cmoss.Put your XP into the cddrive and restart your computer.When its restarting press any key when it tells you.The XP will start installing.It will come to a part where it gives you 3 options to format your hdd.Select full format.This cleans everything from your C Drive.I think that,s right.
!