Sign in with
Your question

DVD drive locks computer

Last response: in Components
July 27, 2009 7:03:38 PM

Dell XPS410 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. Version 2000 Service Pack 3. Computer is about 2.5 years old. I haven’t put any new software on lately, except Windows updates (automatically). IE7.
No problems indicated in Device Manager.
When I insert a disk into the cd/dvd drive and it no longer “autoruns”. If I go to My Computer, the drive icon does not recognize the disk. It says “ DVD-RAM Drive (D)”. When I click on that icon, the computer locks up. All icons go away and the desktop picture is all that remains. The only way out is to unplug or push power button until it goes off. Problem occurs with any disk (data, music, dvd). My first inclination was that the drive was bad. Bought a new one. Different brand. Installed current drivers. Same issue exists. Please help steer me in the right direction.
July 28, 2009 4:44:08 AM

Hmmmm,,maybe one of those updates snafued your system,doing updates on a functioning system sometimes is tricky,and most updates are for their own crap not 3rd party stuff,you might want to consider a reinstall or ,,if you use it an older restore point,normally one could/can reinstall right over existing,,but,,because of your updates,it would/might be iffy,personally I never do updates,you say"installed current drivers" not for a dvd/cd that is a system driver no user input required...:) 
July 28, 2009 3:53:20 PM

These kind of problems are hard to track down, since it uses a system driver. I have to agree it sounds like one of the updates hosed your system. I would try uninstalling the drive in device manager, and then rebooting, and let the system reinstall to see what happens. Test with a disc you know is working, you could also try switching out the data cable on the drive.

There's also an upper/lower filters fix you could try
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

At any rate, this would be a good opportunity to back up your important stuff to an external drive and do a clean windows installation.
!