my os is - e7400 core 2 duo 2.8
-2 gigs of ram
-zotac gts 450
-160 sata hd
-p5kpl am in mobo
-450w psu
-1600x900 screen res
-cooler-only fans

im thinking of increasing my gaming performance .....what do u suggest????

1) overclocking
2) or upgrading my ram to 4 gigs (is it worth the money)????

and what more can i do to optimize my gaming pfmce??

im new to overclocking and never done this before!!! does this damage my pc ??

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
There is nothing complicated in OC as long as you are using the manufacturer's tools only, however I would recommend OC only when you are really short with funds and want to improve the performance.

Yes, it does decrease the life of the hardware and in some cases it voids the warranty on the hardware as well.

Now, to your subject question..

this depends on what kind of games you want to play,, I assume you are aiming for the current games ... so..

Core 2 Duo is fine if not super,, so you can keep it.

2 GIGs of ram... only if you stay with Win XP.

Zotac GTS 450.... here I would say if you can replace it with GTX series.

Mobo... this depends if your hardware fits in or not.

PSU ... Again this depends on which card you hv,, If you decide to upgrade the CARD, then you might hv to upgrade the PSU as well.

Screen... is ok,., I would not say it needs any immediate improvement.

Cooler.. are cool.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
First, change power supply.
Second, overclock your cpu which means new cpu cooler
Third, ram may help
And last but not the least, a better graphic card will greatly help (in term of fps) but will probably hurt the wallet too

Regarding the ram, it depends on your operating system, but you should notice some more responsiveness overall. Ram is dirt cheap right now, I'm recommending to grab as much as you can afford right now. Is that DDR3?

Overclocking can cause damage to components, but not if you're careful. Before OCing your CPU, it is highly recommended you get yourself an aftermarket cooler. Check Frostytech.com for the best heat sinks for your socket. Regardless, you should get some more life outta your system by overclocking but you will be somewhat limited going forward with a dual core.

At 1600X900, I expect the GTS 450 does pretty well. If you wanted to spend a bit more you could get the GTX 460 or HD 6850, but I think this would be a waste with your current CPU.

Overall the best upgrade you could do right now would be the ram. In your position, I would start saving for a new system. Most of the upgrades I could recommend would prolly need a new motherboard.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

That motherboard with DDR3? I think not... :D

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

No. PSU will support the rig quite well. With the GTS450 you only need a 400W PSU to power your system without overclocking.

Also, a new CPU? New CPU would mean new motherboard, and with the CPU you named, new RAM is a must as well. Also, if you are going to upgrade all that, then LGA1155 would be a MUCH better choice, even eliminating the need for a new PSU (Core i5 Sandy Bridge needs 95W, where the Phenom II x4 you named needs 125). You are not suggesting a better PC, you named your favourite CPU.

And even if he is too get the AMD setup, a new GFX card would be a MUST, as the GTS450 would bottleneck the system like crazy. That would lead to a new PSU needed, and then we're back to where we are now: He needs a cheap method to upgrade.

Some extra RAM is a good (and least expensive) choice. New motherboard can work well, but you are buying into old technology, and a new LGA775 motherboard with DDR3 support costs more than a decent starting LGA1155 motherboard. If you need some system speed, I'd recommend a Solid State Drive to upload your OS and favourite game(s) on. This will boost startup speeds, loading times and gaming performance. And, SSD's is the a very good hardware part you can always use on the next PC again. Not a loss to purchase, not money wasted!

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I would do three things (I did this in my old rig I just replaced). Get a quality psu, like a 500-600w antec for like 70.00 bucks from newegg. Then Get a higher res monitor and upgrade your ram. Your not getting the most out of that card there's no possible way and if you oc' it in combination with the new monitor and ram you system will likely run game at least a little bit better, and your ready to just get the parts you want to upgrade in the future. 250 maybe 200 bucks if you get the right rebates.

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I thought I saw someone say you were interested in a Radeon HD 6850, I found one on ebay for 140.00 and free shipping, but I think getting that would entail getting a better psu also. That's another 200 dollar or so upgrade that might bottleneck the gpu but you can just keep it when you build a new rig.