Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Liquid Cooling Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2011 4:13:26 AM

About a year ago I made the worst decision...I bought a computer from Ibuypower. Anyways, I am sitting with an i7 930 non over-clocked. Ibuypower put in liquid cooling. There is a push-pull system along with the liquid cooling and also one cool master side fan. There are no front fans at all. Currently, idle i sit at about 37 C...as soon as i run full load I have to turn off prime95 because temps are pushing 100 C on all cores in a matter of seconds.

I am not sure if there is a malfunction or if there is any kind of troubleshooting I can do....or if the whole cooling system is just a piece of ....

I guess my question is...is there anything I can do to try and fix the problem if there is a malfunction....or if the cooling system just sucks. if I replace the fans with better ones and add a few 120m fans in the case will it make a significant difference? At the moment I am in no mood to remove the liquid cooling system so I am just looking for alternatives. Thanks

More about : liquid cooling problem

January 27, 2011 4:41:59 AM

Fans look good, pump feel good, my vcore is around .984, and in terms of the bios i have the standard turbo mode and turbo step...or w/e its called. I also have the ai tweaker. My motherboard is an ASUS P6T SE.
m
l
January 27, 2011 5:02:35 AM

The thing that bothers me is ya..37 C is not great for liquid cooling on idle...but ignoring that fact...I have never seen a computer jump in temps so drastically from a full load. Going from 37 to high 90s within 10 seconds seems ridiculous not even over clocked.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 5:36:15 AM

Rad looks pretty clean, there is a little dust but I can see through it and feel the air flow. My case is not too bad, using a CoolerMaster CM 690 Gaming Tower Case. Case looks like http://computers.pricegrabber.com/cases/m/47545098/deta...

It comes with 3 120m fans...which reminds me I do have a front fan, it was just well hidden.

Would adding additional fans make a significant difference? I mean my case can hold 7 120m fans, but could extra fans really lower a full load from high 90s to something more reasonable? When I bought this computer I was under the impression I would be able to at least over clock it a little with liquid cooling.
m
l
January 27, 2011 6:43:23 AM

Ya the way it is set up is, there is a 120mm in the back, then the rad, then another 120mm fan facing the cpu. Which to my knowledge is a push/pull config.

I took a quick pic, lighting is horrible, I can take better pics of the set up later tomorrow.

http://img51.imageshack.us/i/sprintphotobicg2j.jpg/

I really do appreciate this help!
m
l

Best solution

January 27, 2011 5:25:54 PM

Liquid cooling is not, in and of itself, a magic bullet that auto-magically makes things cooler. The reality is that you are still working with a thermal system where you are trying to take heat from a source (your CPU) and dump it into the surrounding environment (the air). With liquid cooling, you are adding a medium (the cooling fluid) to facilitate that transfer so you can dump more heat away from the source to your radiator(s) where you can then transfer that to your environment.

Consider that your loop has a single 120mm radiator...even if you have two fans in push-pull, that radiator is giving you about the same surface area as a high-end heat sink/fan combo without any liquid cooling. In fact, if that HS/F has cooling pipes, it might even perform better than your liquid cooling setup.

A quality loop will have at least twice or even three times as much radiator as what you have been given. As it stands right now, your little cooling loop is doing about as good as the stock HS/F that would have shipped with your CPU...you know, the one that has an "Intel" sticker on it. On top of that, with your cooling setup, if your pump fails, you're hosed. At least with an HS/F you can replace the relatively inexpensive fan if it should go out.

If you are serious about liquid cooling, look into building a custom cooling loop instead of buying an off-the-shelf prebuilt system. They are almost never worth it when you can get as good performance, or better, for less money from a high-end air cooled HS/F solution.
a c 330 K Overclocking
January 27, 2011 5:38:54 PM

^This x10.

Nice post, Houndsteeth. Just because its liquid cooling or a closed loop cooler like this, or even high end watercooling...it's still ultimately reliant on how much heat transfer can take place between the radiator and the surrounding air...as well as the ambient temps, flow rates of coolant, fan CFM, and radiator surface area. All in all...like most things...more is better in every one of these variables.

It's been busy at work, so I haven't been browsing as much. But...this breaks down the limitations of that cooler, in that setup. Again, nice rundown, Hounds. :) 
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 29, 2011 4:17:55 AM

What were the temps a year ago when you bought the PC? Have you overclocked it since then? Have you really blown out the radiator or looked very closely? Dust really collects and if you haven't blown it out in a year... TADA! You learn something new every day.

If the rad is clean, the fans are all working like they used to, your STILL at stock speeds, then look into an RMA. If the RMA is past, then get rid of that crappy watercooled setup and buy a TOP air CPU. If your at stock, you don't even need that. If your at stock speeds, you don't need watercooling, if that Joke system on it is even considered WC.

And HoundsTeeth again gets deep into watercooling. It's all physics baybee! Good job.
m
l
February 8, 2011 4:14:04 AM

Best answer selected by cbickelh.
m
l
!