TRIM-similar feature on XP?

Zooman580

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hi,
I was thinking about upgrading an old XP running Dell some new life by adding a OCZ onyx 32 gb drive. I'm currently running a 64 gb crucial C300 on windows 7 and everything is going well with TRIM and all that. I know SSDs benefit from trim and I'm wondering if I should upgrade on my old Dell. If I don't upgrade its going in the trash. Is there a garbage collection/deletion similar to trim where OCZ Onyx drives can use on XP?
If there was such a tool how would it work?
Thanks

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
i'd skip the onyx which is the bargain basement series and head for a sandforce based one. The rebranded adata 64G from microcenter is 99$ right now.

Second, it depends on the dell. how old is old dell? it has a sata controller? does it support ahci?

most sandforce drives run a fairly aggressive background garbage collection. under normal use as long as the drive isnt really full you wont have a problem regardless.

randomizer

Champion
The Sandforce controller is very resilient to use as well. TRIM is not a necessity to keep decent performance, but it will certainly help as long as you actively delete data, otherwise the command is rarely sent. Overwriting is not deleting :) Your C300 has very poor garbage collection so don't even think about putting one on a system without TRIM.

The brute force garbage collection tool from OCZ should work with the Onyx if that is the drive you want to get, since it uses an Indillinx controller, but I can't be certain. It's not really necessary though as long as you give the drive a few hours of idle time (such as sitting at the login screen) a week to recover itself using its own automatic garbage collection.

TRENDING THREADS