Sign in with
Your question

Stealing my internet service!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 19, 2009 12:47:37 PM

how do i keep others from stealing my internet service? i'm set up with cable, but wireless people are stealing my service slowing down my own computer.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 19, 2009 2:45:12 PM

Do you have wireless ? If so address the router setup screens (see router manual) and apply wireless security.

If you don't have wireless I can't see how anyone can be stealing your bandwidth.
m
l
a b F Wireless
December 19, 2009 7:05:37 PM

sign into your router thru the bowser and setup your security.problem solved
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2009 2:35:53 PM

Quote:
Do you have wireless ? If so address the router setup screens (see router manual) and apply wireless security.

If you don't have wireless I can't see how anyone can be stealing your bandwidth.

Thanks for the info! :hello:  I don't think I'm considered wireless per se. I've got a desk top pc, big old honkin monitor with cables everywhere. My firewall is up and running so you think I'm ok?

It seems though, whenever my kids fire up their laptop (wireless) that my old pc looses a lot of power, sometimes freezing it up, which alerted me to the fact the maybe my neighbors are sponging off my service as well?
m
l
December 22, 2009 2:40:31 PM

amandaanadana said:
Thanks for the info! :hello:  I don't think I'm considered wireless per se. I've got a desk top pc, big old honkin monitor with cables everywhere. My firewall is up and running so you think I'm ok?

It seems though, whenever my kids fire up their laptop (wireless) that my old pc looses a lot of power, sometimes freezing it up, which alerted me to the fact the maybe my neighbors are sponging off my service as well?

That would be expected since you have to share bandwidth with them.
m
l
!