Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just upgraded to XP and loaded a couple of programs that
load at startup and put icon in task bar. I don't need
them to load at statup and besides they eat up RAM. How do
you disable them or remove so they don't load at startup.
Tom

Right click the icons in the Notification Area (taskbar) and look
for an option to not start at boot, when windows starts, etc.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1763d01c448cd$7362b200$a101280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
hunted and pecked:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:174b201c448cc$5e017aa0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Tom <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I just upgraded to XP and loaded a couple of programs that
> load at startup and put icon in task bar. I don't need
> them to load at statup and besides they eat up RAM. How do
> you disable them or remove so they don't load at startup.
> Tom

Or alternatively run msconfig and look for those items
that you do not want to appear in the start up tab. It
will list there "path" LOCATION on that screen, just
uncheck it and that will do it.

Not the best method, sometimes the program will put itself
right back in Startup - better to find an option within
the program to tell it not to start at Startup . . .
however, sometimes there's no choice . . . programming
skills and enforcement of standards come to mind . . .

msconfig, go to start up and uncheck what you do not want
to start up.

Besides manually editing the registry, I use StartMan, an excellent utility.
And it's free.

StartMan v1.3.96
http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

[[StartMan is an extended 'msconfig' Startup Manager, designed to take
control of all those pesky programs and background services that load and
run at logon - most of which you probably don't need. As well as providing
the usual trouble-shooting options to enable or disable startups, StartMan
also permits the removal of startups.

Duplicate Detection and Removal, a unique feature of StartMan, can be
configured to remove all duplicates automatically, with or without
prompting.

Orphan Detection and Removal. As above, for orphaned startups.

Executable Detection and Removal. As above, for executables.
Includes a full range of sorting options to make it easier to locate a
specific startup - by name, by filename - even by command line parameter!]]

I delete a lot of stuff manually also, but StartMan is quicker.
The Help file has a lot of good info.

It has another kool feature, you right click one of the startups |
Identify | and it takes you to pacs-portal.co.uk. There is also a link
under Help. You can also move the execution order around. Although that
has a limited use.

PC Forrest's website is and has been kaput for quite some time.
[[Due to circumstances beyond our control, the PCForrest website is no
longer available on this server.]]

Nobody has heard from PC Forrest since some time in 2002.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:17a2001c4491d$af1625c0$a001280a@phx.gbl,