3 HDs dead plugged to a backplane

Lisa Gerrard

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hi, I have just upgraded to windows 7 form XP, in my setup there was this backplane working very well (ahci on to get hotswap, but used only under XP)
http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=8&modelno=ss-500
I added a controller sata (with hot plug) and linked the backplane (with 2 HDs in it); tried to boot, but PC didn’t start (just earing a strange noise for 1 second), after unplugged some fans it started again, but smell of burning and the 2 HDs in the box died!!
Google told me that W7 is different than XP about ahci, so I set in bios another option, maybe about the new controller: after reboot I put another HD in the backplane, but it burned too
Now I have one HD plugged to the new controller and it works good, so there are no problems here, but it’s out of the backplane, the fan in the Norco is working, but the light in it has gone

1. Do you think the backplane has to be thrown away? I don’t know how to test it without waste other HDs
2. Problem were caused by ahci set in the wrong way under W7 (other devices are still ok)? But the first 2 HDs to died were in it at the boot, I didn’t hot plugged them
3. what I have to do to use the old or a brand new backplane? Under XP I had no problems

Thank you and best regards

Lisa Gerrard

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
hi, I am looking for some cheap, old HD to do some test, do you think I have only to change backplane or I can do something else?

regards