Really need exact timings- my screen freezes ! help!

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
hi there, i have problem with my rams, my screen freezes at any time but not always when i am in windows or while i play game. i have 4 gb 1600 mhz cl9 ddr3 ram, i need timings for it in bios, need good configuration. When i also test my rams with memtest86 program. I can see errors called failing addresses. and voltage is 1.8V like as in corsair site.
Let me write my computer features:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GAMA 790FXT UD5P
CPU:Amd Phenom II x4 955
Graphic Card: Zotac GTX 275
Ram: corsair 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 cl9
Hdd:1tb samsung
Power: coolermaster 600watt

Need bios Configuration as follows :

CAS# Latency:
RAS to CAS R/W Delay:
Row Precharge Time:
Minimum RAS Active Time:
1T/2T Command Timing: ?? T
TwTr Command Delay: ?? T
Trfc0 for DIMM1: ??
Trfc2 for DIMM2: ??
Trfc1 for DIMM3:??
Trfc3 for DIMM4:??
Write Recovery Time: ?? T
Precharge Time: ?? T
Row Cycle Time: ?? T
RAS to RAS Delay: ?? T
DQS Training Control: ?? [Skip DQS]
CKE Power Down Mode: [disable]
CKE Power Down Control: [per channel]
Memclock tri-stating: [disabled]
Bank Swizzle Mode: [disabled]

Also if there are other things that i forget, please you add it. Need urgent reply.Thanks in advance...
Edit/Delete Message

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
9-9-9-24 - basic timing specs.

These are the following:
tCL - CAS# - 9
tRTC - RAS to CAS Delay - 9
tRP - Precharge Time - 9
tRAS - 24 (might be Min RAS Active Time)

The others can be found in what's called the JEDEC portion of your SPD info.

Get the utility called MemSet 4.1 beta2 - can be found below:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b4.zip It has more mem timings shown than any other. Another program that gives most numbers is CPUz from www.cpuid.com

Here's what you should do. Go into the BIOS and set ALL the RAM settings to Auto. (After EACH change here I would save then reboot and re-enter the BIOS.

Set the DRAM voltage to 1.8V

If the RAM isn't showing at 1600, set it manually to 1600 in BIOS - leave the Timings at Auto.

Enter Windows, run memset and see what the current settings are, then look at SPD and write down all the JEDEC settings for 800MHz - that's 1600.

Return to the BIOS and set the remaining.

Some of those settings, I've not seen before - the reason you're setting to AUTO first is to get good numbers for them - might not be as low as you could set manually but should all work!

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
but why default setting shows me 1066 when i start computer, it counts like that. why computer itself doesnt find 1600 mhz automatically? is it becasue of mainboard?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It just often doesn't work. Have to set the voltage right on almost all boards before chance of showing right speed.

And need to manually set speed of many others. Somewhat dependent on RAM but not always.

Consider it one of the great mysteries of life. The goal is to get it working properly, which is easy by setting it.

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
i will try as you said, not tried yet, i am at work atm.I hope it works. By the way what i will set the things in bios. If you know,

Trfc0 for DIMM1: ??
Trfc2 for DIMM2: ??
Trfc1 for DIMM3:??
Trfc3 for DIMM4:??

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
See, here's the two pages of Memset. The left is things I might change using the program - I don't because I use the BIOS for changing timings. On the right are what the mfg of the RAM put in as its specs at various speeds. When you're looking at your BIOS, again-once you've got the voltage and speed set and working - it should show you the proper/suggested settings for all those items you mentioned. Most BIOS does. Then you decide if you want to modify them.

But your BIOS apparently isn't helping you out by showing them. So this is how to get the info from the SPD.

memset.jpg

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
And this is the memtest 4.1 beta2 I sent you the link to? Didn't think it would care what the cpu was.

And heck, I'm running basically a Phenom II 950 (which doesn't exist) and have no problems. So it doesn't need particulars for the cpu - mine exist nowhere. It's a Phenom 550 with all cores unlocked, changing it from x2 to x4.

Here's a link to more programs including some more memory programs. Might see something else there.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools-30530/

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
by the way , i did default setting as just you said, i set to 1600 and made voltage to 1.8V and then i started memtest, other settings were auto, and again memtest gave me errors. and after the program didnt work on me that you mentioned, i installed the cpu tweaker on the same site that u gave me http://www.tweakers.fr/download, it also shows me the timings of ram, but it shows me in SPD info that my ram is 533 mhz, even i set the rams 1600 mhz in bios, i couldnt understand. I really fed up with this ram configuration, i have been trying all settings since i bought this parts in june. All these problems occurs becasue of my bios doesnt identify ram automatically.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, if you're still set at 1066MHz in your BIOS rather than 1600 as you say, maybe you need work from there. Make sure everything in BIOS is set to 1066 or Auto - plus set the DRAM voltage to 1.8V.

Test the memory and see if it is stable. If it's not stable and passing memtest at 1066, you need to return it for replacement.

If it is stable, consider updating your BIOS.

What BIOS revision are you running? I would update to F7 to make sure your CPU is properly supported. In addition, this may fix your RAM problems.

Do not use a Windows utility for updating the BIOS. Put the BIOS file on a floppy disk or thumb drive and follow steps within the BIOS to update.

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
btw after a long research on sites and forum, i noticed that my motherboard 790fxt ud5p works with 1333 mhz ddr3 ram and in its features it writes there that when i overclock 1333 mhz, it will be 1600. but b4 this, i knew that it is 1600 coz the label on it ,was showing me 1600, when i set it to 1333, now it works like that and even it passed on memtest 2 times, now i want to overclock it to 1600. what i need change 1 by 1?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Are you still not able to run Memset? If not, get CPUz from www.cpuid.com

Use it to look at the current settings of your RAM and as a guide to what you might change in the latency to get more perforance from it.

For example, generally you will run a lower CL numbers at 1333. First make sure you're running at the 1333 spec, then might try just substituting the 1066 numbers while keeping speed at 1333.

taskin

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
i have CPUz already, and i have amd overdrive and also i have cpu tweaker. At the moment i have no problem , it is running at 1333, but i want to overclock my ram to 1600, while i will do this, i want to do it carefully, what i do this in procedure? Will i increase my FSB , etc ?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'm not the person to ask on this and you might do better in the OC forum. My OC experience is limited to this board/cpu I'm using now and it makes it very easy to increase the CPU speed directly, so I haven't fiddled much with the bus speeds. Since I have gotten such dramatic results with just changing the CPU multiplier, I haven't explored the bus a lot.

My RAM OC'ing is minor in regards to the speed. I've taken my bus speed up by 2.5% which moves my RAM speed from 800 to 820. When you increase the bus speed or multiplier, it's also going to affect the CPU speed and RAM speed. So keep an eye on both when you change the bus, not just RAM.