Sign in with
Your question

OCZ or Corsair PSU?

Last response: in Components
July 27, 2009 10:09:02 PM

I'm looking at going with a different PSU than I have right now. I bought an Apevia 700w PSU and just don't feel right trusting my system with it. So, I'm looking at 2 different PSU's right now:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V $90 w/MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ OCZ700MXSP ModXStream Pro $49 w/MIR
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

FYI:
CPU - E8400
RAM - 4 GB, 2 sticks
VGA - Radeon HD 4890

I plan on crossfiring another HD 4890 in a year or so, so I need something that can handle that increased load- as both of these should. The Antec calculator says I need about 275w for my set-up, but I've read that you need at least 700 for crossfire. The Corsair would be my first choice since it has a little more power and tons of connectors. I'm not crazy about the modular set-up of the OCZ, as I've read that modular is less efficient but this particular unit seems to do very well in reviews. The price difference is enough that if there is not much of a gap between the two, I'd probably go with the OCZ.
I made a mistake with buying that Apevia, so I'd like to get some input from the pro's here before I make another one. And as always, if there are any other options or things that I can or should consider, LMK.
BTW, I also have an Antec Basiq BP430 430W. I'd have to buy a PCI splitter for it if I were to use it.

More about : ocz corsair psu

July 28, 2009 12:34:55 AM

The modXstream is a great power supply for loads between 350 and 550 Watts with a great efficiency.

For a single card setup, take the OCZ. It's way enough.

The OCZ is the most efficient of the 2 PS you have chosen with 85% at usual loads. Unless your are stressing it with higher loads, the Corsair will be a little better.

The problem right now is that there is only 2 PCIe cables with the OCZ. So if you plan to Crossfire 2 4890, take the Corsair.
July 28, 2009 12:36:40 AM

Corsair for the Upgrade in the future.
Related resources
July 28, 2009 12:37:24 AM

corsair always
July 28, 2009 12:38:03 AM

Corsair is BETTER
July 28, 2009 1:00:42 AM

How about this- my upgrade schedule is usually about every 4-5 years. I understand that concept of buying a PSU for future upgradablility, but it seems to me that with how infrequently I upgrade, it would be better to buy a new PS at that time. My last PSU has the wattage (560w) I need, but it has tons of floppy and IDE connectors and only 1 or 2 SATA. I could buy splitters and adapters, but it's easier to just buy a new unit. So, the Corsair is way more than I need right now, but will it be what I need in 5 years? I'm sure a PSU in 5 years will be even more efficient and have the connectors for the ever-evolving hardware that we are all slaves to. Why shouldn't I go with a 500w OCZ modstream for now? ($30) According to Antec, even with crossfired 4890's, I'd only need about 375 watts max. I know that Corsair is well regarded, but a certain tier list has both the OCZ moddtream and Corsair TX lines graded at level 2.
July 28, 2009 1:05:57 AM

boulard83 said:
Corsair is BETTER
...?

For paying an extra 50$?

Seriously, I would like peoples to explain the me. The OCZ a really high efficiency, is powerfull enough for 2 4870 and is half the price and rated at 40C... way enough for almost any environment.

Both are offering the same advantage except that the Corsair past the 50C test. Still there, it's less efficient and that's a big minus in my book.
July 28, 2009 1:18:39 AM

You need a certain level of security, getting 100W more than your setup is really something you should invest on. Running a PS at it's full power is something I will never do since I have experienced issues with it.

At 50$ after MIR, the OCZ is quite enough and really well prized.
July 28, 2009 1:37:03 AM

IM not telling OCZ is bad. i own a PC P&C ( that is partner with OCZ ... )

Im just telling that Corsair build rock solid and efficient PSU. With very light ripple... blah blah blah.

And yes, i agree that you need more Power then the minimum required... Todays PSU are lots more efficient that 2-3 years before but its still better to stay in the 60-75% of the total power that your PSU can deliver.

EX: My rig draw 425W under full GPU and CPU load. ( this is the Highest ive seen displayed on my Watts meter using OCCT PSU stress test ) and i have a 750W PC P&C. While gaming this is fluctuating between 300w and 350w.
July 28, 2009 3:28:16 AM

Amperage is the key here . My 4890 pulls in some serious amperage around 30-45A.
My 4870 x2 pulls in near double that and would take more if I could spare it. The higher amperage is the best when it comes to these new cards.
July 28, 2009 3:40:23 AM

If your just gonna run a single card then go with a corsair hx620 instead (50A in 12v rail).

As far as specs, I could see that the corsair could do better than their declared power rating. I don't know about OCZ as I haven't tried them.
July 28, 2009 3:46:53 AM

Corsair.....get the Corsair..
July 28, 2009 3:51:31 AM

xtc28 said:
Amperage is the key here . My 4890 pulls in some serious amperage around 30-45A.
My 4870 x2 pulls in near double that and would take more if I could spare it. The higher amperage is the best when it comes to these new cards.

Your 4870x2 does not pull in 60-90 amps. No possible way. That would mean that the 4870x2 would pull between 720 and 1080 watts, all by itself. Considering that I have a 4.2GHz i7 and a pair of 4870x2s in CFX all powered quite happily off a Corsair HX1000, I'd say that they definitely use less than that. As for how much they really use? They can pull up to 150W from the slot, 75W from the 6 pin, and 150W from the 8 pin. That's a theoretical max of 375 watts per card, around 31A max from the 12V (and they really use significantly less than that). The 4890 should use significantly less than the 4870x2, so I would guess 20A at the absolute most for the 4890 (and even that estimate is likely well on the high side). Of course, the rest of the system needs 12V power as well.
July 28, 2009 4:13:42 AM

1960395,14,333651 said:
Your 4870x2 does not pull in 60-90 amps. No possible way.
I guess not I just used a new copy of GPU z to check again and its in the 20 A range on the 4890. I havent checked the x2 yet. I did always think that was toooooo high. Well I learnt something new today. wow! The thing I find strange is that the last version of GPU Z fluctuated alot on the amps and this version stays constant even when gaming hard. HMMMMMMMMM is this one wrong too?
July 28, 2009 4:25:31 AM

The WATTS i tell in my last post are from my ENTIRE RIG.

425W = CPU + GPU 100% load, Waterpump, 10 fans, 2 fan controller, 1 DVD, 2 HDD

IDLE : 150W
CPU 100% : 245W
GPU + CPU 100% : 425W

With these you can guess that a GTX285 Pump 180 more watts from idle to load. This give about 20amps total. A HD4890 pump nearly the same thing.
July 28, 2009 4:54:37 AM

beehew said:
I'm looking at going with a different PSU than I have right now. I bought an Apevia 700w PSU and just don't feel right trusting my system with it. So, I'm looking at 2 different PSU's right now:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V $90 w/MIR

OCZ OCZ700MXSP ModXStream Pro $49 w/MIR
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

FYI:
CPU - E8400
RAM - 4 GB, 2 sticks
VGA - Radeon HD 4890

I plan on crossfiring another HD 4890 in a year or so, so I need something that can handle that increased load- as both of these should. The Antec calculator says I need about 275w for my set-up, but I've read that you need at least 700 for crossfire. The Corsair would be my first choice since it has a little more power and tons of connectors. I'm not crazy about the modular set-up of the OCZ, as I've read that modular is less efficient but this particular unit seems to do very well in reviews. The price difference is enough that if there is not much of a gap between the two, I'd probably go with the OCZ.
I made a mistake with buying that Apevia, so I'd like to get some input from the pro's here before I make another one. And as always, if there are any other options or things that I can or should consider, LMK.
BTW, I also have an Antec Basiq BP430 430W. I'd have to buy a PCI splitter for it if I were to use it.

Plus figure in the cost for shipping..

NewEgg is 3 Day free shipping.

ZipZoomFly shipping is not known and will most likely be $10 to $15 for 3 day shippping.

July 28, 2009 5:09:49 AM

redgarl said:
The modXstream is a great power supply for loads between 350 and 550 Watts with a great efficiency.

For a single card setup, take the OCZ. It's way enough.

The OCZ is the most efficient of the 2 PS you have chosen with 85% at usual loads. Unless your are stressing it with higher loads, the Corsair will be a little better.

The problem right now is that there is only 2 PCIe cables with the OCZ. So if you plan to Crossfire 2 4890, take the Corsair.

If I just buy a pci splitter for about $5-7 would that do the trick for crossfire? The number of pci connectors is the only limitation there @ 700w, right?

ANyway, I have about 2 hours to make my decision, because the rebate for the Corsair is only good until 27th.
July 28, 2009 5:10:51 AM

Its all about how the Vreg are built ... a multiple rail can beat a single rail and the oposite can be true. its all about build quality.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 5:12:26 AM

cjl said:
They can pull up to 150W from the slot

75W from the slot. :) 
July 28, 2009 5:14:16 AM

Yoosty said:
Plus figure in the cost for shipping..

NewEgg is 3 Day free shipping.

ZipZoomFly shipping is not known and will most likely be $10 to $15 for 3 day shippping.

No, ZipZoomFly also has free shipping on this particular product. Both sites offer 2.5% cash back through Bing shopping, too, while you're at it.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 5:36:06 AM

redgarl said:

Yup, just don't ask it to deliver it's rated capacity. HardOCP tried that and it failed.

Quote:
The OCZ is the most efficient of the 2 PS you have chosen with 85% at usual loads.

No, actually. The Corsair hits 84%, the OCZ only 83%. The marketing BS on the box doesn't count.

Quote:

The other problem is the small difference of 14A on the 12V rails.
July 28, 2009 5:57:48 AM

I'm hesitant to get the Corsair right now. It seems that whenever I buy a big-ticket item, I find the same thing within a week or two for about $20 less. Happened recently with my motherboard and VGA. The best way to get the price to go down on something I want-- is to buy it.
July 28, 2009 6:20:55 AM

As a personal rule, I don't save up money on a PSU. I buy PSU that will suit my needs and will serve me for long. If you can afford to buy an another 4890, why do you hesitate on buying a reliable PSU? I don't say that the OCZ is no good. Its simply that corsairs are proven to be reliable and deliver clean voltage output.
July 28, 2009 6:22:34 AM

theAnimal said:
75W from the slot. :) 

I'm fairly sure that it went up to 150 with PCI-E 2.0. I may be wrong though. Of course, if the card is designed to work in older PCI-E slots, it has to be limited to 75W either way.
July 28, 2009 6:27:51 AM

xtc28 said:
1960395,14,333651 said:
Your 4870x2 does not pull in 60-90 amps. No possible way.
I guess not I just used a new copy of GPU z to check again and its in the 20 A range on the 4890. I havent checked the x2 yet. I did always think that was toooooo high. Well I learnt something new today. wow! The thing I find strange is that the last version of GPU Z fluctuated alot on the amps and this version stays constant even when gaming hard. HMMMMMMMMM is this one wrong too?
said:

Ahh - that might be the actual amps to the chip. If so, it isn't the same, as the chip is fed something like 1.3V. 1A at 12V is much more than 1A at 1.3V after it is regulated down (at 100% efficiency, 1A in on the 12V would be over 9A to the chip). In that sense you are probably right though - GPU-Z reports my 4870x2 as pulling 55A full load (VDDC) @ 1.2625V. That's the equivalent of only 5 or 6A on the 12V though. The entire card pulls more than that, but even so, you won't get anywhere near a 55A load on the 12V line from the card.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 6:37:22 AM

cjl said:
Of course, if the card is designed to work in older PCI-E slots, it has to be limited to 75W either way.

All 2.0 cards are backwards compatible...
July 28, 2009 10:27:47 AM

I'm surprised no-one's recommended that he waits for the OCZ Z-series yet.

they're 80Plus Gold rated PSU's at 90% efficiency for the 850 and 1000w, although the modular 850w version costs a bit more than even the 850HX, but you do get the extra 6% of efficiency.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 1:29:42 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
I'm surprised no-one's recommended that he waits for the OCZ Z-series yet.

they're 80Plus Gold rated PSU's at 90% efficiency for the 850 and 1000w, although the modular 850w version costs a bit more than even the 850HX, but you do get the extra 6% of efficiency.

The OCZ is not 6% more efficient. HardOCP got 89% and jonnyguru.com 90% (edit: for the HX850). AFAIK the Z-Series is built by Sirtec, which makes the quality questionable.
July 28, 2009 2:55:19 PM

masterjaw said:
As a personal rule, I don't save up money on a PSU. I buy PSU that will suit my needs and will serve me for long. If you can afford to buy an another 4890, why do you hesitate on buying a reliable PSU? I don't say that the OCZ is no good. Its simply that corsairs are proven to be reliable and deliver clean voltage output.

I'm not planning on buying another 4890 now- I wouldn't crossfire for another couple of years at the earliest, when the prices come down and I need a little bit more punch to handle the games. Maybe I never will buy another card. Gaming is a hobby that I find less and less time for so it's hard to throw down a bunch of money on components.
To me, it's hard to determine how long a PSU will be good for for me personally- I don't plan on upgrading for 5 years or so. By that time I have no idea if this PSU will have the power I need or have the connectors that the hardware of the day requires. Technology will have improved leaps and bounds by then so even the best Corsair now will be inefficient by then- it'd make more sense for me to buy a new one then. Like I said in an earlier post, I have a PSU from my previous system that has the wattage I need but has 3 floppy connectors and only one PCI-e and 2 SATA-- and it's barely 65% efficient. If I upgraded every year, year and a half like some of you do, then I'd buy the argument that in all circumstances should you buy a PSU for the future.
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 4:35:57 PM

You asked for advice. First, if one of your choices is a 700 watt OCZ PSU, you should compare it with a similar model. In this case, for the Corsair, you should be looking at a 650TX. Or an Antec 650 watt EarthWatts. Or a PC P&C 620. Regardless of the nominal power rating of the PSU's, they will all put out the same or more usable power than the OCZ

The 750TX is designed conservatively enough that if anyone else built it, they could legitimately call it a 900 watt PSU.

/cranky moment coming on/ :( 
You asked for advice. Most of us said "Corsair or something similar". Yet you seem to keep coming up with reasons to go with the OCZ. The OCZ is not a bad PSU. The others that we mentioned are just better.
/cranky moment over/ :) 

Good luck in your choice.
July 28, 2009 5:25:36 PM

jsc said:
You asked for advice. First, if one of your choices is a 700 watt OCZ PSU, you should compare it with a similar model. In this case, for the Corsair, you should be looking at a 650TX. Or an Antec 650 watt EarthWatts. Or a PC P&C 620. Regardless of the nominal power rating of the PSU's, they will all put out the same or more usable power than the OCZ

The 750TX is designed conservatively enough that if anyone else built it, they could legitimately call it a 900 watt PSU.

/cranky moment coming on/ :( 
You asked for advice. Most of us said "Corsair or something similar". Yet you seem to keep coming up with reasons to go with the OCZ. The OCZ is not a bad PSU. The others that we mentioned are just better.
/cranky moment over/ :) 

Good luck in your choice.

Yes, I asked for advice and I appreciate the replies. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm just trying to make sure that what I get fits my needs- that's why I started a thread based on my particular situation. I know that the Corsair is the better of the two. I'm not coming up with reasons to go with OCZ but rather trying to justify the paying twice as much for the Corsair. Few replies have had enough substance to convince me that it is because the reasons that most of you have given for going with the Corsair don't apply to my way of upgrading (I don't think).
To put my hang-up over the Corsair in once sentence: I think it's way too much for what I need now but won't be what I need in 5 years when I upgrade again.

I don't mind going with "good" and payinig half as much as "great". To compare it to car shopping- if all I want is a solid & reliable car; why not go with the Honda instead of the BMW?

JSC, I understand your frustration if it seems like I'm being thick headed. I'm trying to have a dialogue so that I understand PSU's better and am responding to replies so that I can feel like gotten the best possible advice from you guys based on my situation. Forums are kind of clunky places to try and do that, I guess. Thanks again. You've helped me on other questions I've had and I thank you for it.
July 28, 2009 6:28:15 PM

I would go with the corsair.
July 28, 2009 6:41:44 PM

Lots of honda are more reliable VS a BMW .......

OCZ is good
Corsair is Better

CLOSED no more comment. BOTH are good but one is better. If you dont CF soon at Corsair 620w is way enough.
July 29, 2009 12:45:45 AM

If your not planning to buy another GPU then a hx620 is enough for you. We mention corsairs as they are more capable than what the box says. As I see the label of the OCZ, the declared 700w is its peak power output already and has a lower 12v rail wattage, no more. It is cheaper because it is not really an equal with the 750tx which could go way beyond 800w and will deliver more than the specified 60A 12v rail. The OCZ is not par with the 750tx even if it says 700w.
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2009 1:20:10 AM

Overall, I would go with the Corsair CMPSU-750TX which is made by Channel Well (CWT). I actually prefer PSUs manufactured by Seasonic (like their own brand, or Corsair 620HX), but CWT has a pretty good track record. The single rail simplifies things if you do not want to think about whether or not you are drawing too much amps from a 12v with only 25A.

Choosing either OZC or Corsair will get you a better than average PSU.

July 29, 2009 11:35:33 PM

masterjaw said:
If your not planning to buy another GPU then a hx620 is enough for you. We mention corsairs as they are more capable than what the box says. As I see the label of the OCZ, the declared 700w is its peak power output already and has a lower 12v rail wattage, no more. It is cheaper because it is not really an equal with the 750tx which could go way beyond 800w and will deliver more than the specified 60A 12v rail. The OCZ is not par with the 750tx even if it says 700w.

So, if I were to buy a Corsair TX650W, I should be able to crossfire because it is really putting out 700w+ and that;d be enough for it, right?
July 30, 2009 1:26:01 AM

If you plan to do CF then go with a tx750.
July 30, 2009 2:15:24 AM

Corsair ftw
a b ) Power supply
July 30, 2009 4:25:41 PM

beehew said:
So, if I were to buy a Corsair TX650W, I should be able to crossfire because it is really putting out 700w+ and that;d be enough for it, right?

The TX650 would be plenty of power for CF 4890, but it only has 2 PCIe connectors so the 750 would be a better choice.
July 31, 2009 12:31:00 AM

theAnimal said:
The TX650 would be plenty of power for CF 4890, but it only has 2 PCIe connectors so the 750 would be a better choice.

It would be enough as long as he don't OC. He could use molex converters to get the other 2 PCI-e plugs. But again, if you're planning to do CF, try to settle with a PSU that has some headroom from what you actually need.
July 31, 2009 6:28:58 AM

Both are good companies. I own a Corsair 620HX which is a just about two years old. It has not missed a beat and after putting it through the grinder. Was it worth the extra money? Hell ya!! and it kept me future proof on upgrades until 4 months ago when the new GPU's hit.
With that said I would spend the money and step into Corsair's 850HX you won't be sorry and it should last you at least 3 years. ( it beats buying a $90 one every time a new GPU hits)

a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2009 6:34:19 AM

masterjaw said:
It would be enough as long as he don't OC. He could use molex converters to get the other 2 PCI-e plugs. But again, if you're planning to do CF, try to settle with a PSU that has some headroom from what you actually need.

It would be plenty for OCing, E8400 won't hit 100W.
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 31, 2009 12:10:34 PM

masterjaw said:

We mention Corsair because the build quality and DC ouput quality are generally superior.
We never reccomend a power supply because reviews have shown that it can output more power than it is rated for.
Ratings are put in place for a reason, either the output qualty or efficiency can suffer at loads greater than the actual rating.
August 3, 2009 3:34:42 PM

Well, I was able to get rid of the Apevia POS- I mean, PSU. So I'm back in the market for a power supply.

And I'm going with the Corsair. Thanks for all the help.
August 4, 2009 12:36:08 AM

Let's give him a big hand! :bounce: 
!