Solution

In My Computer, navigate through your \c;\ drive to the Windows folder then to the Service Pack Files folder and then into the i386 folder. Find the file spoolsv.exe in the alphabetic list and righht click it then from the little menu beside it, choose Copy.

Use the Up arrow icon on the top menu to go back to Windows then go to System 32 folder and from the Edit menu, choose Paste and the ffile is copied into that folder where it belongs.

Hopefuly after that, the printing system will work properly.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Do you still have the file spoolsv.exe in your c:\windows\system32 folder? If you look in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and scroll to Print Spooler, is it set to Automatic and is it started? If to, correct both entries and see if you get an error message.

angela blake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I have gone to control panel to turn on and it is on automatic and I try to start it but I get an error that spool service file is missing. This is so very frustrating. Its like it has been taken out of windows somehow...have any other suggestions to fix this problem..... ?

If spoolsv.exe isn't in the System32 flder, try copying it into that folder from c:\windoows\servicepackfiles\i386.

If that doesn't help. from the Start menu, choose Run and in the Open box, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. Have your XP CD handy in case the System File Checker finds something that's missing and needs to extract a new copy.

I worry about key Windows files disappearing for no apparently good reason- have you scanned for Malware recently?

angela blake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I am not a computer wiz. but I am so learning alot from this experience. I just want my computer to print. So nothing came up when I ran the sfc / scannow and and Im not sure how to add the folder from c:\windoows\servicepackfiles\i386. to system32. If you can lead me through it i will try and I really appreciate your help.

In My Computer, navigate through your \c;\ drive to the Windows folder then to the Service Pack Files folder and then into the i386 folder. Find the file spoolsv.exe in the alphabetic list and righht click it then from the little menu beside it, choose Copy.

Use the Up arrow icon on the top menu to go back to Windows then go to System 32 folder and from the Edit menu, choose Paste and the ffile is copied into that folder where it belongs.

Hopefuly after that, the printing system will work properly.

Solution

angela blake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
YOU are my favorite person in the entire world right now.......I have tried to get this thing to print for 2weeks now and with a little prayer and what you just had me do shazam!!!! I can print again.... Thank you so very much you are the best..... Angela

Thanks for the BA but it was you who fixed it by coming here for sugggestions. People who don't do that end up with their systems being messed up or paying huge sums of money to have them fixed.

Glad you sorted it out anyway. :D